GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need Help!

Started by onebadcat, February 09, 2015, 11:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadcat

We are on a cycling trip from Alaska to Argentina. I own an Oregon 600t which was a wonderful thing until we crossed into Mexico. I purchased an Asus laptop specifically to use for photos and loading maps to my Garmin. In the last three months I have tried everything (keep in mind good Internet is maybe once a week) to get my Garmin to be recognized by my computer and to load maps to BaseCamp.

As for getting my computer to recognize my Garmin...I have gone through the tutorials and have followed all the steps without luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

The map I am trying to load into BaseCamp is : World Shaded Relief : gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/277  Every time I try to load BaseCamp tells me "unexpected error while importing".

I must admit that I spent no time with my unit before we left on the trip. Am know kicking myself for thinking I could learn as I went. My Garmin has become a useless tool to me down here and the paper maps we have assembled are absolute garbage. Needless to say I would love to resolve this ASAP as on bicycle getting lost means a lot of extra miles and stress on our relationship :)

I should also add that I am a Mac user who is now trying to figure out this PC so it may be as simple as I have installed drivers wrong or need to activate something I haven't yet found???

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer -

Scott

maps4gps

1.  I made that 'map'set as a demo for Garmin's new units (at that time) ability to display a raster image.  As the mapset's info page says the resolution is less than Garmin's built-in raster elevation data.  It includes the ocean floor depth and uses color shading.  It is NOT a vector map.

2.  For some reason Garmin choose not to support -180 to 180 mapsets in BaseCamp.
Transfer the .kml file to the 'Custom Map' folder on the OR600 and it should display properly.

Enjoy your ride

onebadcat

Awesome! Now if I can just get my PC to recognize the Oregon  :-[

Thanks

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on February 09, 2015, 12:19:51 PMTransfer the .kml file to the 'Custom Map' folder on the OR600 and it should display properly.

Note that the folder must be named "CustomMaps" and not "Custom Map". :)

onebadcat

STILL HAVEN'T MANAGED TO GET MY COMPUTER TO RECOGNIZE MY OREGON 600T!
Can anyone help??

Thanks,

Scott

Boyd

Not sure if the Oregon is the same as my Montana, but try this:

Press Setup > System

What is listed for "Interface"? I leave mine set to Garmin Spanner. If you do that, when you plug in the USB cable the GPS will ask if you want to enter mass storage mode. Press "yes" and the GPS should appear on your computer like an external disk. Garmin's software will then recognize it.

If that doesn't work, other possible issues could be the USB cable or USB port on either the computer or GPS. Try a different cable and different USB port. Try connecting directly to your computer and not using a USB hub.

If all else fails, call Garmin support and have the GPS and computer handy. You may wait awhile to talk to someone, but they can remotely access the GPS and your computer while you're on the phone and do troubleshooting. If there's a problem they can't resolve, they will exchange your GPS (if it is under warranty).

onebadcat

Thanks all. Have Internet access for the next couple days so going to give it another shot.

Scott