GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Montana 600 usb actions backwards

Started by Cygnus, January 12, 2015, 05:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cygnus

When I plug into the computer, I have the normal operating screen. When I plug power into the usb port, it shows the Garmin usb logo splash screen and am unable to turn the unit on or use the GPS. It would seem this is backwards, no?

babj615

Are you using the Garmin cable that came with the GPSr?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Cygnus

No, mini usb auto charger. Now that you mention, I changed to the stock charger and the garmin charger does work correctly. Sad to think for all of the mini usb auto chargers I have laying around, I will still have to go purchase a proprietary charger for this thing?

Boyd

The problem is usually the cable, not the charger. There are two kinds of cables, data and power. Data cables have extra wires and if they are used with some chargers they will confuse the GPS into thinking it's connected to a computer.

This is not a Montana specific problem. It is an issue with almost all types of GPS and has been discussed at great length on many forums.

Red90

The Garmin cable jumps pin 5 to allow the unit to know it is plugged into a power only cable and not a computer.  You don't need a special charger, just the right cable.

I think you can force in in the settings as well.  Should be under something like "interface".

Cygnus

Quote from: Boyd on January 13, 2015, 05:45:43 AM
The problem is usually the cable, not the charger. There are two kinds of cables, data and power. Data cables have extra wires and if they are used with some chargers they will confuse the GPS into thinking it's connected to a computer.

This is not a Montana specific problem. It is an issue with almost all types of GPS and has been discussed at great length on many forums.
Thanks! I relentlessly located every mini usb cable I have and kept trying them until I got a good one. I finally plugged one in and it asked if I wanted to go mass storage or not. It's working! You've done me a solid Boyd!
Best regards ;D

Boyd