GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

changing map names

Started by troutdog, January 07, 2015, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutdog

I have downloaded several of the free US Topos available on this site (thank you!).  I have installed each into BaseCamp using the executable install file and they have loaded properly.  However they are each identified by the file name created in install (e.g. the Colorado map is labeled cotopo11). 

Is there a way to change the map names so they appear in my list as, say, Colorado?  I have tried changing file or folder names in windows file explorer but this results in the map not being visible in BaseCamp.

Thank you, any and all info is appreciated.

Boyd

You should be able to do this with GMTK: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

QuoteChange map name and ID

A site like the Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap is ideal to generate useable maps for your Garmin (and MapSource or BaseCamp). The major drawback is that when you download and install a second map from this site, you will lose the first one.

The problem is that each map has the same ID and name, while these need to be unique.
The problem with IDs in general is that there isn't a centralised registration and distribution of them; every map maker can pick their own, resulting in the existence of double IDs.

Luckily it is easy to correct this with JaVaWa GMTK, enabling you to use several maps from the source mentioned above (and others).

After selecting a map and clicking this option you can enter a new ID and the names you want to see in MapSource/BaseCamp and the device.
You can change the folder name too; highly recommended when you want to install several OpenStreetMap maps which are normally installed in the same default folder.

JaVaWa GMTK will check for possible conflicts with other installed maps.

troutdog

Thank you Boyd!  That is exactly what I needed.  I appreciate your help very much.  Cheers.

maps4gps

'Colorado' for a topo map of Colorado had already been used by another map author.
There are many topo maps of Colorado, many different types of maps for Colorado (topo, planimetric, contour lines, PLSS, land ownership, etc.), and even my cotopo11 had a previous version which at least one user wanted to retain.  Some users have more than one map of an area on their GPS's as different map authors include and/or present the data differently.  If all were just named for the coverage area (state) it would be very confusing.

If you, or others, have a question on a map, please identify the map with the name the map author used.  Too many times myself and others have used our time to try to solve a problem for a user to later have the user tell us the question/ problem was actually with a different map than the one they had originally named.

Enjoy