GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

City Names on free US Topos

Started by troutdog, January 07, 2015, 07:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutdog

I have downloaded several of the free US Topos available on this site (thank you!) and have installed them in BaseCamp by simply running the executable install file.

The maps are available to view an they look great but there are no City Names visible.  Changing display settings (Labels) have not affected this.

Any help is appreciated.

maps4gps

Should be obvious it would be hard to say for sure as no specific maps are mentioned.

If you are referring to my state topo maps, the city names are there.  They came from the USGS GNIS files as point locations.  Unfortunately, you have to be zoomed into that exact point location for the name to display - that is not as useful/convenient as I would like.

Boyd

On my own maps, I've noticed that the icon for cities (I created my own custom symbol) is shown by Mapsource but the name is not always shown and when it is shown, the font is tiny. Have never looked into this in any detail because everything displays normally on the GPS itself (both Nuvi and handhelds).

I don't recall whether Basecamp has the same issue. Garmin has a bunch of different POI types that can be used as cities. Mapsource/Basecamp visibility may depend somewhat on which of these types were used by the map author.