GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

universal Garmin gmapi map creation on Linux box

Started by glendeni, January 03, 2015, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendeni

I've now successfully created "universal" Garmin "gmapi" map files on a Linux box and wanted to document the procedure here for others as there were a few glitches I had to solve. Most people here use Windows based proceures,  so I wanted to document a successful Linux process.

Background: this will only work for .img files produced by the OSM mkgmap compiler, not for .img files produced by cgpsmapper (which I did test).  I'm assuming here that someone is already familiar with the mkgmap compiler and has already used it to create .img and .tdb files (and routing .mdx/mdr.img  files if desired).

() On Linux box, you can produce a "gmapi" directory containing a "gmap" subdirectory which contains map data usable with BaseCamp on Windows PC (7-64bit tested) and OS-X Mac (untested) by  using the OSM program gmapi-builder.py . A link to an older version with instructions is   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gmapibuilder  - but there is a newer version can also utilize styling .TYP and/or routing .mdx/mdr.img files and it is hard to find so I've uploaded it as an attachment below.

() Put all the files in subdirectory, say "tiles", then run command
    gmapi-builder.py -v -t tiles/MyMap.tdb -b tiles/MyMap.img -s tiles/STYLES.TYP -i tiles/MyMap.mdx -m tiles/MyMap_mdr.img tiles/*img
       where "MyMap.img" is "background" map name or number
       and the last argument can be multiple, such that all needed .img files (i.e. basemap, routing, etc) are included
       Optional arguments -s/-i/-m are only needed as appropriate for processing .TYP and .mdx/mdr.img files
       and I've included optional "-v" flag for more verbose output

() This creates directory MyMap.gmapi which has a subdirectory MyMap.gmap.  The latter should be installed on PC under a folder which varies with the OS.  The following should work
         for Windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" folder (untested)
         for Vista and Windows 7: "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps" folder (tested)
         for a Mac - am unsure as to how the files should be provided, but I think one can create a .zip or .tgz file of the gmapi directory and a Mac can open those for automatic installation

() The script does give a worrisome "Unknown Block: ..." message.  This has also been reported by others.  But no one has yet reported finding any resulting problem (and neither can I). Note: one message which does indicate an error is "Missing part:  ... in IMG-file", which occurs when a .img file is not readable (likely not created by mkgmap)

() I've tested WITH a styling TYP file and WITH routing files and WITH contour+stream .img files overlaid on a background map.  Everything (including routing) worked for me on a Windows 7 64-bit BaseCamp.  So all seems good

Jack

glendeni

Just wanted to reinforce the fact that this will NOT work for img files produced by cgpsmapper.  I'd forgotten this myself and just spent a lot of time compiling with different cgpsmapper options to see if I could get one to work - but all failed.  FYI the version that I am using is dated Feb 2011.  I could not find a later/updated version.