GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help a GPS newb

Started by Cygnus, December 27, 2014, 04:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cygnus

As I said... Total newb, so far I'm thinking eTrex 20 for ATV and 4x4 use (I would think a touch screen would start doing weird things in the rain) everyone I've talked to so far say the non-touch screens are much more durable as well.

When I pick up my Garmin (I've already decided on Garmin) Do I need to buy their 24K topo or can I use other sources that may be just as accurate, less expensive or even better?

Are there GPSr's that can be used for multiple formats? i.e. aviation, nautical as well as standard land navigation?

Boyd

Have you actually seen the eTrex in person? It is really tiny - something that doesn't necessarily come across when you look at pictures online. Personally I would find the screen too small to view at a distance. If possible, visit a store that stocks a variety of different models so you can actually see and hold them in person.

The Garmin 24k topo maps have some features that no third party maps support. They use the same road data as the City Navigator maps and contain the same POIs (things like gas stations, restaurants and other things). So you can search for addresses and business names and creatre routes to them. They also contain DEM (digital elevation model) data that will show 3d terrain and give you information about elevation.

Do you actually need these features? That's a personal decision only you can decide. I suggest that you download some free maps from this site and see if you like them first. That won't cost you anything and you can do it right now before you even purchase a GPS. This tutorial will get you started

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Not sure about the eTrex, but many Garmin handhelds support marine navigation but won't have all the features of their special marine devices. Aviation devices are very specialized and expensive.

Cygnus

Will rain effect the Montana or Oregon?

HorizontalHunter

Quote from: Cygnus on December 28, 2014, 06:09:40 PM
Will rain effect the Montana or Oregon?

I don't know. What kept me away from a GPS with a touch screen is having to take off your gloves to use the GPS. I recently purchased the Garmin62s and I am very happy with it. The maps and information here are a great resource.

Bob

Seldom

Quote from: HorizontalHunter on January 05, 2015, 04:08:59 PM
I don't know. What kept me away from a GPS with a touch screen is having to take off your gloves to use the GPS.

I'm not much of a fan of touchscreens on GPSrs myself, but I use "digital" gloves (with one of those little patches on the index finger) on both my OR and Nuvi and they work with gloves on.  I use Head digital running gloves on the mouse pad of my laptop when I'm doing astrophotography at night.  They work fine below 0F.

Cygnus

Quote from: Boyd on December 28, 2014, 05:30:19 AM
Have you actually seen the eTrex in person? It is really tiny - something that doesn't necessarily come across when you look at pictures online. Personally I would find the screen too small to view at a distance. If possible, visit a store that stocks a variety of different models so you can actually see and hold them in person.

Took your advice and went to REI... I went to the counter to request assistance... Long story short after waiting half an hour for the person I requested to sell someone who JUST walked up a gopro I got the much coveted access to the GPS cabinet!

yes, the etrex is miniscule and lost my attention immediately. I did look at the 64 and it also has a fairly small screen and has only a slightly lower pricepoint than the Oregon or Montana.
The Montana has a much more generous screen, is resistive touch, not capacitive; so I can use the eraser side of a pencil as a pointer and it works great (no glove removal  :D. Found it online for only 390 and it was there the next day... Now to learn how to load and use it :P
First I'm going to follow the newb directions you have put up on the title page; download maps, use tutorials and such. Hopefully I won't have to newb you guys too much  :P

Boyd

Great! I got my Montana three and a half years ago and am still very happy with it. :)

HorizontalHunter

Quote from: Seldom on January 07, 2015, 12:02:27 PM
Quote from: HorizontalHunter on January 05, 2015, 04:08:59 PM
I don't know. What kept me away from a GPS with a touch screen is having to take off your gloves to use the GPS.

I'm not much of a fan of touchscreens on GPSrs myself, but I use "digital" gloves (with one of those little patches on the index finger) on both my OR and Nuvi and they work with gloves on.  I use Head digital running gloves on the mouse pad of my laptop when I'm doing astrophotography at night.  They work fine below 0F.

I will keep those in mind. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Indrid Cold

Rain or gloves never bothered me using my Oregon or Montana. iPhone for sure, but not either of my touch screen GPSr.