GPSFileDepot.com

initializatin gpx error when accessing my gps using basecamp and easygps

Started by margo, December 26, 2014, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margo

I keep getting this error:

The Receive from GPS command could not be completed.  An error occurred while receiving data from your Garmin Astro 320.
An error occurred when reading saved GPX data from your Garmin Astro 320.
This XML file contains one or more errors.
E:\Garmin\gpx\initialization.gpx

In basecamp it will actually still import the other gpx files. In easy gps it will not. I get a message that it can be "repaired" if I send the file to them.

What is the initialization.gpx?    I seem to remember having to rename gpx files when I import them so they do not overwrite other gpx files. And I seem to remember there is a file on the units that you must remember not to delete.

All I want to do is organize my waypoints and tracks and back up my data, which I used to easily be able to do in easygps. I also used mapsource but I guess now it has been replaced by basecamp.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks in advance. The astro 320 is based on the garmin 62 if that's any help. I have installed the SE topo map on the unit as well, which works fine.

margo

Ok, as an experiment, I removed the "Initialization" file to my computer desktop and disconnected the unit.

I started it up and everything seemed great! However, when I connected it to the computer it did not recognize it!!  :o No program could "find" my unit either!

I then put the file on the card and put that in the unit, then hooked it up and it could see it again. whew!

I copied the file to the unit storage and got rid of it on the card.

So I still am unsure of what it is, and why I get error messages, yet my data seems to download on the programs I am using.

margo

I perused my gps files that I had backed up over time and found a different initialization file. I replaced the one that was on the gps with that one and I get no more error, and everything seems to work.

That doesn't answer my question though about what that file does, it seems to have a few waypoints that were made awhile back.