GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 62s "route calculation error"

Started by HorizontalHunter, December 26, 2014, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorizontalHunter

Every time I try to navigate to a way point I get the "route calculate error maps do not have routable roads in this area" and the gps dumps me to the map screen without setting the GPS to navigate to that point.

The software in the GPS is up to date.

I am using the NE USA topo from here and I have disabled all other maps.

Activity is set to hiking

Lock on road is set to NO

Avoidance setup is set to avoid Ferries

Route recalculation is set to OFF

I am not new to GPS' as this is my third Garmin but I am at a loss here. Have they made it so that I have to but their maps as well or am I missing something.

I appreciate any help that you have to offer.

Thanks,

Bob

Boyd

Quote from: HorizontalHunter on December 26, 2014, 09:46:53 AM
Every time I try to navigate to a way point I get the "route calculate error maps do not have routable roads in this area"

The error message means exactly what it says. You do not have a routable map installed, therefore routes cannot be calculated. Maps must be built in a special way to support routing, and very few maps on this site are built that way. To see a list of available routable maps, go to the map page here and check "routable" in the "search by map features box". Only 7 maps out of the thousands on this site are listed.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

You should assume that all maps on this site are NOT routable UNLESS their info page specifically indicates otherwise. The Northeast topo does not claim to be routable:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/200/

You could try the openstreetmap project for routable maps in your area. Otherwise, Garmin's own 24k topo map series is routable.

HorizontalHunter

Boyd,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.

I am not looking to build a route at this point I just want a bearing to go direct to that way point. Is there anyway to shut the routing off in the 62s?

Thanks,

Bob

ETA:

I figured it out:

Main menu - routing - activity needs to be set to direct. You need to scroll to see the setting.

Boyd

Yes, that is the same as my Montana. Glad you got it working.