News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need help with gps files

Started by kai38, December 13, 2014, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kai38

I have both basecamp & mapsource but prefer using MS
I have years worth of routes & tracks I've saved to my computer.
Up until I got this new laptop w/ windows 8.1 I was able to open edit & send to my GPS and save my tracks
Now when I try to open files in my computer i get a message saying it not a valid MapSource file. And it also will not open in BaseCamp.
I've also tried opening the back up files from an external drive still can't open them, un-installed both BC & MS re-installed them still no luck.
I think I've sent the files as an attachment to friends and they can open and view the file.

Any ideas?
I'm very frustrated I've possibly lost yrs worth of data.
Thanks in advance.
K

Red90

What format are the files?  Can you post one up here?

kai38

There are .gdb some are .gpx
I'm wondering if windows 8.1 is the problem.
The routes I've created with this new laptop I'm able to open & edit.
I'll attach a file to see if anyone can open it

z_statman

Can't open in MS. How (software) was the file created?

kai38

It was created in Mapsource.
All my older files that have been either created, or saved from the gps to mapsource can not be opened anymore, but all the newer ones I've created or saved I can open.
I'm wondering if its because of windows 8.1 on my new laptop?

Red90

Windows 8.1 will not matter.  I use it all the time and have never had this before.  Post up a GPX file as those are easier to troubleshoot.  something seem to have happened to your files...

Red90

I would also suggest posting this on Garmin's forums as the developer frequent them and would better be able to look at the files.

kai38

There is an attachment to one of my replies in this thread.

Red90

Quote from: kai38 on December 17, 2014, 03:12:59 PM
There is an attachment to one of my replies in this thread.

Yes, I know.  I asked to post a GPX file as those are easier to examine.  The GDB files are a special Garmin format that Garmin would be best to look at.

The file you posted has some sort of error in it.  It will not open in any application designed for GDB files.

babj615

2014 UT TRIP V2.gdb opens ok for me with GPSMapEdit using Win8 x64 - But be aware, the file has a lot of straight lines connecting each of your track logs.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

kai38

Sorry, I wasn't sure you had seen the 1st attachment.
I changed the gdb to gpx on this new attachment not sure if that works, I did try opening it as a .gpx but also no luck.
Thank for the help.
Kirk

babj615

You can't just change the extension to convert a .gdb to .gpx. Both files are identical.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Red90

Quote from: babj615 on December 18, 2014, 05:09:51 PM
2014 UT TRIP V2.gdb opens ok for me with GPSMapEdit using Win8 x64 - But be aware, the file has a lot of straight lines connecting each of your track logs.

GPSMapedit says the file is damaged and restores it.  Most of the restored data is garbage.  There are some actual tracks and waypoints in there, but it is a mess.  Looks like the file has been corrupted.