GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Etrex legend 10+yrs

Started by pistonbones, December 07, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pistonbones

HELP! I have an older Etrex legend with only a base map, showing state highways or major roads. I tried to use it a few times over the past 10 years for hunting but its difficult to use. The past few days i have searched the web and on gpsfiledepot for a map, but the maps do not seem to work correctly and I am unable to open them. I tried converting them with maptoolkit...etc. I am beyond frustrated at this point.
I have basemap but that software will not recognize my device. I also have mapsource which does recognize my device. The files i get from the gpsdownload is a bunch of .imgs with numbers one .img with the file name one with .typ and one .tdb file. I stepped through the wizard but am unable to open or do anything with the maps in either basecamp or mapsource. Any help would be appreciated. If not I will shove the thing back in the closet for a few more years.  :o

pistonbones

Let me expand upon this some more, if I open mapsource and then use FILE>OPEN> search the topo map file none of them open. What file is the actual map?

pistonbones

I guess I have answered one part of my question. How do I get a map to open in Mapsource? I had to download a map of Florida before the map of new england would work??? Odd and very frustrating.

Now the only question left is how do I get the map onto my gps unit? (No card) (only internal memory )...she's and "oldy"
I am unable to use basecamp with my device for some reason.

Boyd

You do not "open" maps in Mapsource, they must be installed. Mapsettoolkit is for people who make maps, there are only a few very rare cases where you need it. Look at the page that describes the map you want. If there is an icon at the top like this, then the map has an installer that will take care of everything for you.

There are tutorials here to guide you through the process. Use this for installation:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

Then use this for sending the map to your GPS:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mapsource

I used to have eTrex Legend C which is probably similar to yours, it didn't have a card slot and only had 24MB of internal memory. That is really tiny in today's world, but it will still be usable. However you will need to select a really small portion of the map to send to your GPS. Select a few tiles using the map tool and look in the left pane of the mapsource window. It will show you the total size of the tiles you have selected. Just make sure it is less than the internal memory of your device.

As far as maps not showing, there was an old bug in the installer used by many authors here. It did not create one of the Windows registry keys that is needed by Windows 7 64 bit, probably also Windows 8. and that prevented the map from working in Mapsource. This was a long time ago and map authors are not using that installer anymore, but there are still some old maps that have this bug.

The fix is simply to install another map that creates the correct keys. It sounds like you have already done that however.

pistonbones

Boyd thanks for the detailed reply.  Unfortunately the map I selected did have the bug (error) with windows 7_64 bit, installing the Florida topo map and then opening the map I wanted solved the problem.
Regarding the GPS file transfer once I got mapsource to open the map, selecting and installing the map to my device was a breeze. The gpsdepot tutorials were great, after i knew why the map would not install correctly.
As for the device itself as mentioned I received this many years ago as a gift, I wish it had the memory of a Legend C (24 MB) is small but mine is a bit smaller 8MB, with no expansion slots.  :(Although the memory size would be insufficient for many folks using this device. I used it primarily for hunting and was able to fit the areas of interest on it.
Thanks for the help.  :)

Boyd

Great, glad you are getting some use out of the old Legend.

BTW, there are no standards for map tile (segment) shape/size so they can vary a lot between authors. You might try downloading several maps and see which ones will allow you to load the largest area on your device.