News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

install my extrex legend collection to my Nuvi

Started by RubiconJoe, October 06, 2014, 03:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubiconJoe

Good Day All,
So I've been using extrex legend for years and have lots of cool routes saved. How do I offload them from extrex to my Nuvi 2597? I also have a .gpx file from a buddy (similar routes) but I can't get them to load properly into BaseCamp to transfer to Nuvi. I can see some of the specific waypoints but none of the tracks (which I CAN see on the legend hand held device). Shouldn't these tracks show up on the new device? I loaded the Moab, UT map I got from gpsfiledepot.com and that loaded and displayed just the way I thought it should.

I'm sure this is a total newbie question but I've tried alot of things and just can't seem to bring it all together. Thx a bunch in advance for your time.

RubiconJoe

Boyd

For ROUTES, get them into Basecamp and send them to the Nuvi. The Nuvi will convert them to "trips" which may or may not do what you want, but the new automotive units don't use "routes" anymore, only "trips".

If you are talking about TRACKS, there is no way to import them into any model Nuvi. This is just a limitation of the automotive units, they can only display the active track that is being recorded on the device.

RubiconJoe

Boyd,

Thanks for the quick reply. So I still have a bit of a learning curve to master the terminology. I am trying.

So what I see after loading the mapfile I got from this site (Moab UT) I can get the Nuvi over to that part of the country and I can see each entire trail that has been mapped. They are even color coded for difficulty. Color coding my collection is a later step, but can I make my collection of waypoints and breadcrumb tracks appear as beginning to end routes as the Moab file displays? How did the Moab map makers do that? I run my trails fairly often. I can collect the data differently if I need to in the future. Or is there are way in BaseCamp or MapSource to display the tracks and draw/edit them some way to be able to import into Nuvi (as the Moab file displays)? Again, thanks for your help and patience as I get my mapping legs under me.

RubiconJoe   

BobT

Rubicon, I made the Moab map.  It is a vector image map(special picture) and not a bunch of individual tracks.  As Boyd said, you cannot put tracks on a Nuvi and display them.  That is one of the reasons I make the maps.

Boyd

You would need to learn how to make Garmin maps if you want to convert your data into something that works on the Nuvi. That can be very technical and time-consuming, certainly more than I can cover in a single post here.

A program like Mapwel can import your data and allow you to format it the way you want. http://www.mapwel.net

For some simpler software, you could have a look at this program that will convert .gpx data to maps. http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

There are many other ways to approach this, but these will give you some idea of what is involved.

RubiconJoe

Thanks guys. Your assistance is greatly appreciated and exactly what I needed to know. I'll have a look at the tool suggestions and decide if I want to give it a go.

RubiconJoe