GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Installed Dosen't Show Up In Basecamp

Started by cptnmrvl, August 09, 2014, 07:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptnmrvl

I downloaded and successfully installed the Great Lakes Offroad Map but it doesn't display in Basecamp 4.3.5. (Windows 7).  Anyone have any ideas why?

QOS

I am having the same problem.  Help!!!  It was the Texas Topo map

Seldom

Not a lot of information from either of you.

Suggest you read http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/   

Also try installing http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53
It's installer has been known as a cure for some other installation problems.

Finally, be sure BaseCamp is not running when you do the map installations.  BaseCamp only looks for installed maps when it starts.

toopilot

Someone needs to solve this issue.  I also can not get this to work with the gps file depot files.  Someone needs to try this who is way smarter than I am and figure this out.  I have burned about 3 hours searching and trying other things to get this to work.  Very frustrating!

Indrid Cold

Looks to me that there have been over 1.5 million map downloads and only 1 or 2 people posting here a week with install issues, that would be a rather good record in anyone's book.

Try installing the My Trails map first, then another of your choice & see if that clears up your problem.

Compacted Graphite

I cannot get a downloaded map to show up in Basecamp. I am using a windows 8.1 HP laptop computer. I successfully downloaded the Michigan topo map but it does not show up in the map index. Only two maps were showing up in the map index: Global Map, and Worldwide AutoRoute DEM Basemap. I located the MITOPO file in my program portion of my C-drive. Based on reading a suggestion in the forum, I loaded the My Trails file. I noticed that it downloaded MY TRAILS to a Garmin specific sub file within the Program files portion of my computer. I now have access to my trails within my Basecamp map index, and I moved the MITOPO file to be within the Garmin sub file of the program files. I have turned my computer off and on several times, but still the Michigan topo map does not appear in the map index in Basecamp. Please help.

maps4gps

Moving the mitopo files from one folder to another will not work.
When installed the 'self-installing' program creates code in the Windows registry which MapSource/BaseCamp uses to find the map files. 

I suggest you return the files to the original location, then uninstall the mitopo mapset.
Then reinstall the mitopo mapset; either to the default location or to a folder of your choice.

'My trails' (or another mapset made with a 32-bit installer) corrects a glitch in Windows 7/8, so mitopo needs to be reinstalled AFTER 'my trails' is installed.

ob1quixote

Win8, fresh install of Basecamp, does not find map I downloaded.
Installed MyTrails, makes no difference.

Incurable computer noob here, guess there is no chance of making this work.

Why can I not simply download the map file and load it into Basecamp?
It seems like it would be a very simple process, made unworkable by the packaging.
Why does the map have to come packaged in an executable file?

Guess I'll have to rely on paper maps...

ob1quixote

Just for fun, I fired up a Windows Vista computer.
No problem loading the map, but no card reader to write to.

Then I fired up a Windows 7 computer.
It has the card reader I need to transfer the map to the GPS.
No problem...

Guess I can blame Windows 8 and its tablet-esque pile of inconvenient trash programming.
Gee, thanks Microsoft!

Red90

It is not a Windows 8 problem.  Windows 7 and 8 work the same as far as maps go.

ob1quixote

All I can say is an absolutely fresh install of Basecamp, updated after install in Windows 8, no go.

Absolutely fresh install of Basecamp, updated after install in Windows 7, works fine.

Same map file exe, opened/installed without Basecamp running, per instructions.

Now, maybe there is something some computer guru could repair, but for this guy, 1 + 1 does in fact add up to 2. Plug and play in Win7, plug your ears I'm cursing in Win8.

MWalleye

I have a laptop with Win Vista 64bit.  I installed My Trails first.  It did NOT show up in BaseMap.  I installed a couple other maps and they did not show up in BaseMap.

And, I just installed BaseMap on my computer so I know it's updated.  My maps on my GPS unit show up... just no maps downloaded and installed from gpsfiledepot.

I suspect there are a lot of others with the same problem and just give up and purchase their maps from other sources.  I know I will.  Too much trouble trying to get "free maps."

Boyd

Nothing wrong with purchasing maps if you don't want to deal with the free ones. But, FWIW, I am one of the mapmakers here and am still using a 64 bit Windows Vista system. Never had any problems. The issue with maps not showing was first reported with the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

And it wasn't really a "Windows problem". It was an issue with the standard GPSFileDepot installer that many of the mapmakers on this site used. The problem with the installer was corrected several years ago, so only old maps should have it.

BobT

TheBrit

New to this and hit the problem being described in these posts.  The issue I had was windows security,  when running the map install right click the exe as use 'run as administrator'.
Before that the program did not have the right to update the registry, soon as I did this all maps starting appearing in the map install dialog....
Hope this helps...