GPSFileDepot.com

Need recommendations for hiking trail maps in Texas

Started by wmcatty, October 22, 2015, 10:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmcatty

Good morning fellas...total newbie here.  Just bought a Garmin Etrex 20x and need some recommendations on what type of maps you all would suggest for hiking trails in Texas?  I have scoured the internet and have found so many maps that I am somewhat dumbfounded by all the variable types, however, I have not found any that are specific to hiking trails.  My grandson and I are "in training" here in Central Texas, getting ready for a 6 week hike this summer on the Continental Divide Trail through the lower section of the San Juan mountains in Colorado.  Our weekly hikes are getting longer and we needed a gps to assist our route planning.  Any help would surely be appreciated. 
PS-The gps will be here on Sat or Mon, at which time I hope to start installing whatever software you fellas think would be the best.  Wayne

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

wmcatty

Thanks for the reply Oz.  I downloaded Basecamp and the Texas topo and followed the tutorial, but the message No Unlocked Maps Found keeps popping up when I right click the device name.  Can you recommend what I should do now?  I have to admit this is exasperating.  Thanks, Wayne

Boyd

Try this instead. Exit from Basecamp, make sure your GPS is connected and go to Start > All Programs > Garmin > Map Install. On the first screen you should see your GPS listed under "Device". Click "Find Device" if it isn't shown there. If your GPS still isn't shown, you will not be able to continue.

Otherwise, click "Continue". You should now see a list of all maps that you have installed in Basecamp. Is the Texas Topo shown on that list? If so, check the box next to it. If not, you have not properly installed the map and will not be able to continue.

You should now see the map on the right with a box around it. If you want to install the full map, just click the install button (you can use the advanced button to install only a portion of the map if desired).

A window will then open saying "this will install maps on your device". Click the Install button to complete.

That's all there is to it. If this doesn't work, please describe exactly what went wrong.

wmcatty

Thank you very much.  That worked like a champ and the map was detected and installed. 

Boyd