GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Issues with MapInstall?

Started by Boyd, August 03, 2014, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Was just looking at http://pinns.co.uk/osm/garmin.html and this caught my eye. I rarely use mapinstall mysef so I have not experienced this. But I wonder if it could explain some of the threads we've seen here about installation problems?

QuoteMapinstall & TYP files

Latest version of Mapinstall has some very useful features.

However, you may find maps selected and so called installed on your gps may not appear;it does not necessaily create gmapsupps if the imgs are not created by Garmin.

Individual TYP files are ignored as it seems to presume that non topo imgs all have the save typ file!

popej

For some time I use exclusively MapInstall with all kind of maps: native Garmin, cgpsmapper, mkgmap. I have never noticed problems.

Actually I don't send maps to GPS, I use a virtual GPS which is a directory on my HDD. MapInstall can perform some more processing on real GPS. It can create single gmapsupp.img or multiple img with names corresponding to map name and can split maps between internal memory and SD. Maybe there are some problems in this case.

There is one case, where MapInstall really doesn't create img. It is when one compiles a new version of own map without changing tiles ID. In this case MapInstall assumes, that map is already installed and doesn't update it.

Indrid Cold

Poorly writen. "Latest version" is what version? When was that writen? Win Mac both?