News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Site Updates: Maps View Updates

Started by -Oz-, June 11, 2009, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Hey All,

I've updated some of the pages on this site and wanted opinions on any possible improvements.

The largest update (which will soon grow into more) is this conversion on the viewing maps page:

To make the update more accurate I need people to modify their maps (i'm getting the ones I can) and check the appropriate map features boxes.  Try to click "Minor Modification" at the bottom so that it doesn't change the date you loaded the map.  I've tried to hit some of the most popular maps right now.

I've also added authors to the articles and creators to the map based on member name.

For the near future:
- Search by map features
- Sort maps page by newest; features; etc.
- View maps uploaded by user
- Select multiple countries when adding maps - Done 15 Jun 09

If there are any other improvements programming wise that you would like or have ideas for improvements (including map features to help narrow it down) do let me know in this thread.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

1. That bug has been fixed
2. Wow, that does look bad (thats what i get for converting from tables to css; working on it now).

Thanks for hitting most of your maps and checking the POI box; made my life easier; I did the rest :)

EDIT: Okay, fixed bug #2; good now.

So, think it looks better and helps with the user experience or?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

3 and 5 fixed; good call on 4; been thinking of it for awhile because i want to add the best Caribbean maps i've seen yet and they span multiple countries.

I'll work on that too since I should be able to steal the code from the states page.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

actually, to easily resize it just add width="600" to the img tag or go to image properties in the WYSIWYG editor and make width 600; it'll change the height as needed to keep it proportional?

Just confused about the countries thing...
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

added the multiple country select thing tonight.  I think I caught all the bugs (things appear to be working).  Let me know how it works out for you.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Yep, thought of that this morning... fixed
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Added the ability to see maps by who provided the map http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/

This isn't a great way to search (that's still coming) but it is is good because in the Maps You May Like section you can click to see all the other maps the user uploaded.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

That is very interesting... looking into it.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Fixed; anyone with just one map had no maps listed
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!