GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GA topo map file infected?

Started by dspmapper, June 09, 2014, 01:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspmapper

Several attempts to download the 2011 GA topo map Windows file from maps4gps (as recent as a few minutes ago)  were intercepted and blocked by Avast! antivirus 10.0 due to a reported Win32:Dropper-gen [Drp] infection.  This occurred both under Windows XP and Windows 7.  I could download the file by disabling the Avast! real-time shields, but am very reluctant to open it.

Is this a known issue, and is there an updated map/zip encapsulation file to remove the infection?

Other topo files (CA, TN, KY, VA) downloaded and were installed on my Nuvi 2598 LMT HD (US version) via BaseCamp without incident. Performance on the Nuvi isn't perfect - topo won't layer on top of CN NorthAmerica NT 2015.10,etc. - but is quite useful as an underlay for MyTrails.  In this case, I can switch between CN and the topo maps by simply enabling/disabling the single Settings ->Map & Vehicle -> myMaps checkbox for CN.  The checkboxes for the topo maps and MyTrails remain checked.  MyTrails shows in both cases.  I found that leaving the map draw priority set by BaseCamp at 25 and changing the draw priority for MyTrails to 31, with transparency off, using MapTk seemed to be the best combination on this unit so far.  I'm a newbie to this, so there may be a better setup for the 2598.

Seldom

Avast seems to have some sort of problem.  See http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=3672.0 

I don't use Avast for much, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the problem. 

dspmapper

Thanks for the tip.  I went to the other thread here, and then to the Avast forums, and the Avast forum site is offline due to an attack.  :(  I was just a bit surprised that a file from 2011 would not have been cleaned up by this time.  Guess I could just back everything up, install, see what happens, and restore my partitions should anything bad occur.  Not worth the effort at this point.  I don't need GA right now, so I'll just wait for this to play out.