GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Cannot load maps into BaseCamp or MapSource

Started by turf surfer, May 12, 2014, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruyt

Sorry for bringing up the zombie thread, but I did a search on this topic because I too was having problems with Basecamp "seeing" maps which I downloaded from this site.  Like the OP, in order to fix the problem, I had to download the maps into the c:\garmin folder.  When you first open up the installer for the maps I downloaded, it wants to put the maps into c:\Programs (x86) folder, which didn't make much sense anyway, as the files are just .img files.  How would Basecamp even know to look in this folder? 

In any case, if you extract the img files within the .exe into c:\garmin folder then the maps are viewable by Basecamp.  Just my experience...

Boyd

Quote from: aruyt on July 31, 2017, 07:44:59 PMHow would Basecamp even know to look in this folder?

Basecamp and Mapsource use the Windows registry to find legacy Garmin maps. When Garmin made their maps Macintosh compatible, they had to come up with a new system for this since MacOS doesn't have a registry. Their answer was the .gmap format that is completely file/folder based.

Garmin switched its own maps to this format many years ago, but third party mapmakers have been really slow to embrace it. Just another sad sign of the slow death of Garmin's ecosystem. :(

To be fair, the main reason that third party mapmakers don't use .gmap is there are no tools (AFAIK) to directly create a map in this format. You must first make a legacy map and then convert it to .gmap (using software that is also getting long in the tooth).

kcbtrish

I had the exact problem with Paiute map for Utah.  I followed the directions here...loaded My Trails...but still could NOT see the Paiute map!  I then did what else was suggested...UNinstalled the Paiute map.  Re-installed the map but CHANGED the directory to the Garmin directory, which is where the My Trails automatically downloaded.  YAY...now both the My Trails and Paiute maps appear in BaseCamp!!!

Brettny

Im having a simular issue with nytopo or any other IMG based files not showing up in basecamp.   I believe this is because the 32 vs 64 bit issue?
Im running a windows 10 laptop, have installed the mapsettoolkit.  Its looking for a EXE file that i dont have for a "preview" 
I have go the Adirondack high peaks map to load in basecamp but i think thats due to it not being a IMG file.
My trails also hasnt worked.