News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Etrex 30 wont download from mapsource

Started by G George, May 17, 2014, 06:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G George

Hi all; noob here.
I have a Garmin etrec venture hc that i have been using for some years, have mapsource on my desktop pc, and can download topo maps segments to it but it did not store a very large map.
So i bought a Garmin Etrex 30 since it has a larger storage area internal and chip capability.
When i hooked it to map source it says it does not have space for a map that the venture will hold.
Can i still use mapsource for this, and how do i get topo loaded into new unit?
Thanks for helping the handicaped, (Computer and Gps handicaped)
G George

Boyd

The eTrex 30 should certainly be able to store a lot more maps, unless you have already filled the memory with something else. How much free space does Windows report on the eTrex?

It sounds like something else may be going on here. Mapsource has been discontinued and is no longer supported by Garmin, although it is still available. What version are you using? 6.16.3 is the final version and you should probably upgrade if you haven't already (do a backup of the old version though). http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

What map are you using and where did you get it? Does it display properly in Mapsource on the computer? There is a bogus error message that Mapsource will sometimes generate that says there isn't enough room on the gps for the map. You should notice right away that something is wrong, because the message doesn't make sense, it will say something like "200 MB are required but your device only has 2,000 MB free space."

This error message is caused by a problem in structure of the mapset on your computer. Generally it happens when an author changes something in the map without properly rebuilding the entire mapset. There have been examples of maps on this site having this problem in fact.

The other thing you should realize is the Mapsource is not fully compatible with your new eTrex. It will be fine for sending maps and sending waypoints, tracks and routes. However you will NOT be able to RECEIVE waypoints, tracks or routes because Garmin has changed the method for storing them on newer models.

You need to use Basecamp with the newer models: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

G George

Hey thanks for the info!!
I assumed mapsource, being a Garmin product would be compatible with my new unit.
I will download basecamp and try again.
No it did not say i did not have enough space, just that it would not load.
I did not know if i needed to use a micro sd card, or if i could load to internal memory.
Like i stated before, i am not savvy with electronics, and at times would like to beat my computer with a big hammer!! Ha.
Thanks again for the help!
G George