GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Ontario Lakes

Started by pbc1020, March 27, 2014, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbc1020

I travel to Ontario twice a year and fish Lake Minnitaki and Savant Lake. My only experience with a hand held is an older etrex and would like to update but do not know what to get for maps for these lakes, also is a gps map 72 a good hand held for Canada fishing?

Greg A

i am looking for a detailed map (24k) of the Woosley Bay area near Crane's Lochaven Wilderness Lodge on French River.  I am contemplating getting a Garmin 62stc but i would like to determine if such a map exists before i buy the GPS unit.  Any ideas?    I posted it here on this Ontario topic since that's the general region, but perhaps this belongs in the custom maps area.  Thank you for any advice if such a map exists.

skeet

I have a 60CS with Blue Charts and it shows that area.

Greg A

do you think its detailed enough for fishing and hiking?  I would like to be able to mark fishing spots and also re-trace my path back to the dock!  ;)  for hiking we will probably stop at a shore and hike un-marked paths. I would use GPS (breadcrumbs) to find my way back to the boat.

skeet

You will need to buy map software such as Mapsource Topo Canada for land and G2 Canada for marine coverage to get good detail.
There is a free download from GPS Depot called Ibycus Topo Canada I haven't used it but have heard it has better detail than Mapsource Topo Canada.
Check the Garmin site. I tried to post a link but this site doesn't allow that. :-[

Greg A

Thank you.  I'll try that and let you know.  Probably tomorrow or Sunday before I can get to it.