GPSFileDepot.com

New here, come to say Hi and ask a simple question. Thx

Started by powerstroker, December 21, 2013, 09:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerstroker

Hi, just found this site and its wonderful resources. I bought the Garmin US topo and Metroguide and never hapay with the topo. A friend of mine suggested me ditching the garmin topo and get it from here. I just did that and MAN, what a difference! Thx.

I also downloaded the My Trails from jbensman (I'm from St. Louis MO too). It works like a charm on my new Vista HCX. I can see the red trails on top of the Topo (I did not check the Metroguide yet but pretty sure it will work the same way). However, I cannot see My Trails overlay on the computer (BaseCamp) which is kind of disappointing since you really want to see it over the topo to plan your trips. Well, probably it's a limitation of the Garmin BaseCamp (since it does not let you select more than one map). I'm going to try it on MapSource and see if it works that way. Anyway, Thx. A great bunch of dedicated people!

Erwin
St. Louis MO
eTrex Vista Hcx
eTrex Vista

Boyd

Unfortunately neither Basecamp nor Mapsource will display more than one map at a time. If you have a subscription to Birdseye Satellite Imagery, you could display myTrails on top of it though. Another possibility is to make a "Garmin Custom Map" (.kmz file) and use that as a background. That is probably more trouble than it's worth though.

FWIW, I was born and raised in St. Louis myself but moved away many years ago.  :)

powerstroker

Thx. I kind of realized that's part of the limitation of the base amp, too bad though.

Boyd

Over on Garmin's support forums, the Basecamp developers have stated that the ability to use multiple maps is on their list of new features. No promise about when.... Don't hold your breath.  ;)