GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

how to load maps using a Mac

Started by CaptFrank, December 05, 2013, 06:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptFrank

Can anyone on this list provide me with step-by-step instructions on how to download topos from GPSFileDepot to my 60CSx?   I have tried the instructions that are posted but they don't work---after opening MacInstall on my new Mac Mini  (a dual core, Intel I5 and OS 10.8.3) I get a message saying they're no maps to unlock---and the continue button is not highlighted, so I'm dead in the water.  The unit is turned on and plugged directly via USB into the Mac when I do this.  I've also downloaded what I take to be the latest version of BaseCamp--- but clueless  where to go from here.  Any help  most appreciated. 

Capt. Frank

Boyd

It would help if you tell us which specific map you're having a problem with. As a new forum member, I don't think you can post a full link, but you could post the last part of the link - for example, something like this:

maps/view/518/

Red90

So what specifically have you done?

- Download the maps in MAC format.
- Use MapManager, http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825 to get the maps installed to the correct location on the computer if the specific installer did not do this for you.

CaptFrank

I was trying to download and install the Florida topo map, the main one. 

Red90

What did you do with the file after you downloaded it?

Boyd

Look in your Applications folder and confirm that the following programs are there:

Garmin Basecamp
Garmin MapInstall
Garmin MapManager

If not then go to the Mac App Store and download Basecamp (it will include Mapinstall and Mapmanager in the package).

After downloading the topo you will have a file named 123-1623-FloridaTopo.tgz

Double-click this file. Archive Utility should open and file named Florida Topo.gmapi should be extracted. Before proceeding: are you seeing a file with this name or a FOLDER with this name? If you see a FOLDER instead of a FILE, Basecamp was not properly installed.

Double click the Florida Topo.gmapi file and MapManager will launch and ask if you want to install. Click the install button and quit Mapmanager when it completes.

If your computer has a memory card slot or if you have a USB reader, insert a card into it. This is preferred instead of connecting the 60csx because it has a very slow USB 1 interface. However it should work either way.

Now start MapInstall with the card inserted into either a reader or the GPS. When it opens, choose Florida Topo from the dropdown menu. Use the hand to drag across the parts of the map you want to send to the card, then click the send button.

I have just downloaded the Florida Topo myself and can confirm this all works on my MacBook Air running OSX 10.8.4

CaptFrank

Boyd:  Will try this later tonight.  Many thanks. 

f

Quote from: Boyd on December 05, 2013, 03:54:48 PM
Look in your Applications folder and confirm that the following programs are there:

Garmin Basecamp
Garmin MapInstall
Garmin MapManager

If not then go to the Mac App Store and download Basecamp (it will include Mapinstall and Mapmanager in the package).

After downloading the topo you will have a file named 123-1623-FloridaTopo.tgz

Double-click this file. Archive Utility should open and file named Florida Topo.gmapi should be extracted. Before proceeding: are you seeing a file with this name or a FOLDER with this name? If you see a FOLDER instead of a FILE, Basecamp was not properly installed.

Double click the Florida Topo.gmapi file and MapManager will launch and ask if you want to install. Click the install button and quit Mapmanager when it completes.

If your computer has a memory card slot or if you have a USB reader, insert a card into it. This is preferred instead of connecting the 60csx because it has a very slow USB 1 interface. However it should work either way.

Now start MapInstall with the card inserted into either a reader or the GPS. When it opens, choose Florida Topo from the dropdown menu. Use the hand to drag across the parts of the map you want to send to the card, then click the send button.

I have just downloaded the Florida Topo myself and can confirm this all works on my MacBook Air running OSX 10.8.4

Indrid Cold

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but you need a datacard installed in the GPSMAP 60CSx to hold maps, so make sure you have one in the unit.

Once you have one, on the GPSr, go to Main menu->Setup->Interface and select USB MASS Transfer and the datacard will mount on you Macintosh Desktop.

At this point, MapInstall will recognize the datacard as a legitimate destination to install your maps.

You are not going to want to use USB Mass Mode to send waypoints to your GPS, but you also need to use this mode to get archived track logs that the unit will store on the datacard.

Boyd

FWIW, CaptFrank has a Mac Mini and that machine has an sdxc memory card slot on the back. As stated above, if you insert the memory card directly into your Mac then the file transfer will be dramatically faster. The 60csx uses a micro SD card, however these are typically packaged with an adapter that will fit into the slot on your Mac. If yours was not, then the adapters should be available for just a few bucks at just about any store selling electronics.

Quote from: CaptFrank on December 05, 2013, 06:09:32 AMon my new Mac Mini  (a dual core, Intel I5 and OS 10.8.3)