News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Inability to view map on Oregon 600?

Started by mnunlist, November 16, 2013, 05:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnunlist

Background:
1.  Using a MacBook Pro, new Oregon 600, and purchased Garmin Australia / New Zealand, and Northeast US (both DVD's).
2.  Both DVD's have been loaded in the Mac. (The Aus/NZ map has an 8-digit unlock code on the package but the NE US did not.)  I have unlocked the Aus/NZ map on line, and both maps are listed in BaseCamp as loaded and unlocked.
3.  I have installed Garmin MapInstall, then opened it on the Mac, with my Oregon attached by USB and turned on, and then selected "Customize."  I check one of my two maps (e.g., TOPO US. 24K Northeast) and then click "Advanced/Partial Install."
4)  I then select the desired tiles from the Northeast US map to transfer to my Oregon 600. 
5)  I then click "Send Maps" and wait while the program (seems to) make and transfer the desired mapset.
6) When the transfer is "complete," I eject the Oregon 600 from the Mac.

Problem:
After those steps however, I do not see the map among the installed maps on the Oregon, and nothing seems to have been transferred.  I do not see any new entries in the left-hand panel under either "My Garmin Devices > Oregon" or "My computer" in BaseCamp either.

What am I missing or doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.
Mark

ps - I believe I have slavishly followed all the steps in the many posts on this same subject, and I apologize in advance for asking this again.

Boyd

Sounds like you did the right things. You are correct that no unlock codes are needed for the NE US Topo (I have this DVD also). Look in the Garmin folder on your Oregon. What .img files are there and what are their sizes?

Garmin has forums for Mac software support, you may find some help there: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?167-Mac-Software

The main focus of the GPSFileDepot forums is support of the free maps on this site.

mnunlist

You wrote:  "Look in the Garmin folder on your Oregon. What .img files are there and what are their sizes?"

Apologizing in advance for posting  my question to this forum (and thanking you for the reply), I don't know how to do the above.  I have checked the Mac-Garmin forum you suggested, and it appears others have the same issue.  Perhaps I should migrate my GPS-associated efforts to a pc....

Thanks again,
Mark

Boyd

I have been using Macs since the very beginning for everything, but I use Windows for anything GPS or map related. :) So I don't know what bugs might be present in the newer software. If others are complaining, this may be a software issue.

Here's what I meant though. Connect your Oregon to your Mac with the USB cable. Double-click the icon that represents it on your desktop. If there are two icons, then one will be for the device's internal memory and the other will be for a data card that you inserted.

You will see a folder named Garmin when you open the icon(s) and this is where maps are stored. Map files have a .img extension (you might not see this if you are hiding extensions in your Finder  Preferences). Anyway, if you want to troubleshoot, you need to see what files (if any) are being installed in the Garmin folder. Looking at the file size will give you some sense as to whether the map data has actually been installed.

Since you are using Garmin products, they will provide support for you; this is one reason why people purchase commercial products instead of downloading free maps here for example. If you call Garmin support they should talk you though the installation and can even remotely diagnose problems by accessing the GPS over the internet.

mnunlist

Boyd

Cool. What was the problem and how did you fix it? That might help someone else in the future.  :)

mnunlist

I was using too large a microSD card (64GB) hoping to put all my maps on at once and not have to deal with cards, uploads, etc.  I should have read more about card sizes....but Aus/NZ and NE US all loaded without issue on a 16 GB card, apparently with room to spare.

As an aside, that maps of Australia, and detail maps of NZ and NE US all fit on a card the size of a fingernail is astonishing.

Thanks for your guidance, and for users forums in general.

All the best,
Mark

Boyd

Thanks - that explains it. However you should be aware of another limitation of Garmin devices. Maps consist of many separate "tiles" that we call "segments". Your Oregon can only handle ~4000 of these segments (probably a bit less).

If you load more than 4000 map segments, everything will appear to work but some of the map(s) will not be visible. There is no pattern to what shows and what does not, it is dependent on the maps you use. This is generally the limitation that you encounter when installing a bunch of maps and you will likely reach it long before filling a 16gb card.

The NE 24k topo contains 1059 segments for example, so if you installed that then you are already 25% "full".