GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Raster imagery inside .img files?

Started by Boyd, November 15, 2013, 06:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Is this actually possible on new Garmin devices, such as the Nuvi? I have read some posts on another site that suggest it's now supported. Now this is a bit of a tricky topic since GPSFileDepot does not allow discussion of hacking Garmin firmware or software. So please don't post anything specific that would cause this thread to get deleted. I'm not posting a link to the discussion I saw on the other site for this reason.  ;)

But I'm just curious as to what hidden capabilities the newer devices may have. Does Garmin use this capability in their own maps? I know that some of their marine maps contained raster imagery before Garmin introduced Birdseye or "custom maps".

From what I have read, no firmware hacks would be needed for a compatible device to show raster images contained in an .img file but the only way to create such a file would be to use Garmin's proprietary software.

In case it's not clear, I am not talking about turning a raster image into a vector image but actually embedding a real raster image in an .img file.

popej

There exist free map with raster, you can use it for tests:
http://static.garmin.com/shared/uk/_downloads/mapping/IOM.img

This is raster map Isle of Man. Unfortunately www page with this map has disappeared after recent changes.

Boyd

Thanks, I will have a look at it.  :)

....Just downloaded - wow! I did not put it on my GPS yet, but that map looks really nice in Basecamp (I used JDM to make it visible).

As much as I like cgpsmapper, we really need some new tools for making our own maps. I wish we could use this as well as DEM and 3d buildings. Doesn't seem likely anytime soon though.  :'(

Which devices support this kind of map? Does it go back as far as the Nuvi 1xxx models?

popej

As far as I know only nuvi 5xx support raster pictures in img. And newer outdoor devices, Oregon, Dakota, Montana, 62/72, eTrex 20/30.

Raster maps are used in Bluecharts but marine devices won't show topo maps.

Boyd

Ah, I see. I thought this was something that would work on other Nuvi models.  I wish Garmin would sell a large screen automotive device capable of using raster imagery. Apparently that is something they are only willing to offer in marine (and aviation?) devices though.