GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Suggestions for GPS

Started by daubsnu1, November 11, 2013, 06:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daubsnu1

Hello, new here.  I've had a Garmin Rino 120 for years, but never downloaded any maps.  Going deer hunting in Sandhills of Nebraska in a few weeks and wondering what are the best topo maps for the area.

I have downloaded the free map from this site, and it looks pretty good.  Are there other maps out there that will show more detail?

Also thinking about getting another Garmin Rino.   Suggestions?  Thanks, Daubs

omegaman

I started out with the Rino 120, and moved up to the Rino 530hcx. There's a world of difference! So much so that you'll never want to touch the 120 again!
The 530hcx will pick up a satellite signal just about anywhere. In a car, or even in a house!
You won't be sorry with it.
If you don't care about the radio, there are other options. But the weather band is sure nice on it too!

daubsnu1

Thanks, but the 530 is not available new any more.  If I do find used, how good is battery life?  With the 120, AA's work...and I can have backups in my pocket. 

Thanks, D.

omegaman

I've bought a couple used with no issues. In fact since they're no longer made, there's some pretty good deals on them too!
I'm not positive about how long a fresh charged battery lasts, as I've never ran one clear down. They can be recharged easily from AC or a 12v cigarette lighter outlet. They also have a battery pack available that can use AA alkalines, but at reduced transmit power. I carry one as an emergency spare but haven't ever needed it yet. I see new rechargeable packs sell for under $30 for Chinese knockoff packs to $44.95 for Garmin packs and some higher at $59.95. I've never had to buy one as a replacement, but have one as a spare in case I need it.
You can but 4gb of data on the micro SD cards that go in it. Plus you can buy the premade maps on the cards, if you desire. I have the whole US topo downloaded onto mine with trails and POI added!
The 530hcx has so many features, you could almost write an article just about what it can do. :)