GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map detail question

Started by Kim Helgeson, November 10, 2013, 03:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kim Helgeson

Hi everyone, I am new to this map game. Just got a new Oregon 600, with an sd card with a few 24k maps. So, I am looking to add maps, but I am not sure if the topo maps here are 24k or 100k. Can someone help me with this?

Seldom

Most maps here are 24k.  Most maps here are not routable.  Unless you have purchased your 24k maps on a DVD, and are storing them on a microSD card of your own, you should keep Garmin's 24k maps (on a Garmin Card) separate from third party maps like those you find here.  If you are interested in maps of the Southwestern US, the maps I've made are routable, except for the "Transparent" ones.

Kim Helgeson

What do you mean by not routable? Are you saying that i should not try to put gamin maps and these maps on the same micro sd card to put in the gps?

Seldom

Non routable means the map doesn't include components necessary to follow roads or trails.  If you try to connect two points on a curving route you will get a straight line.

You don't say how you bought your Garmin 24k maps.  If you bought them on Garmin's microSD cards you shouldn't try to add third party maps to the card.  You might damage the Garmin 24k maps you paid for.  If you bought the maps on the DVD  and are using your own cards, no problem.

Boyd

To expand on that a little.... if you purchased the Garmin maps by download, you can also add other maps to the same card (or internal memory). If you use Basecamp/Mapinstall, it should be able to figure everything out automatically.

Kim Helgeson

I bought them on the sd card. what about copying them from that sd card to another card, and putting other maps on that card also?

Red90

As I understand it, they are locked to that card and can't be removed or used in any other way.

Boyd

Yes, the Garmin 24k topo's are locked to the original card and will not work if you copy them to another card or to internal memory. I have one of these cards myself.

Can you return it perhaps? There is really not much reason to buy these on cards. The DVD version can be combined with other maps, but more importantly it is not locked and can be installed on all devices that you own. I have one of these too.... live and learn. :)

ricardoayaan

This information is new and interesting for me.

Indrid Cold

dbperry

Something is odd here...the OP mentions having ONE SD card with multiple 24K maps. But then she mentions obtaining them from Garmin. My understanding is that Garmin sells 24K maps individually - so it would be impossible to obtain multiple Garmin 24K maps on a SINGLE Garmin SD card.

Kim: What region (area) are you interested in? Which particular 'custom' maps (from this website) are you trying to compare to your "24K" maps? Are the 24K maps that you already have something like this product:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/topo/topo-us-24k-northwest/prod27609.html

I'll add my 2 cents about routable: Routable describes the functionality of being able to enter a starting point and an ending point on a GPS device and then the GPS device uses its maps to produce a sequence of roads (or sidewalks, paths, etc.) for you to follow to get from the start to the end points. Think of a 'car' GPS - "turn right on main street" - you can only get that with a routable map. As noted above, if the map is not 'routable,' then the GPS can't develop a path on the roads between the start and end points and it will just send you in a straight line.

Dave
My custom KMZ map collection:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/13384/

Seldom

QuoteSomething is odd here...the OP mentions having ONE SD card with multiple 24K maps. But then she mentions obtaining them from Garmin. My understanding is that Garmin sells 24K maps individually - so it would be impossible to obtain multiple Garmin 24K maps on a SINGLE Garmin SD card.
I assumed the OP meant map segments, or "tiles".