GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GArmin Birds Eye Topo map question

Started by nowacc, November 01, 2013, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowacc

I have a Garmin Map 62 with a SD card. I have several maps loaded and saved to the GP and my computer from the Birds Eye Topo program. I'm thinking about getting a second GPS for the wife to use. I know I would have to purchase a second Birds Eye subscription if I wanted to use these maps on the second GPS.
My question is would I have to down load all these maps again (using more computer memory up ) and save to the second GPS unit or would I just get another access code from Garmin to use these maps on another unit?
If I understand the birds eye program correctly, once my subscription expires, I'm still able to use the loaded/saved maps I have on the computer, flash drive and still be able to load /change the saved maps using the computer and Basecamp program but not down load any more new maps. Is this correct?

Boyd

I have never used Birdseye topo, but I can tell you how it works with Birdseye satellite imagery. Hopefully it is the same, but you never know with Garmin.  ;)

When I got my Montana I was able to use all the imagery I had downloaded for my Oregon after I purchased a new subscription. All I had to do was send it to the new Montana and it was then authorized through Garmin's servers. It was not possible to actually use the existing memory card from the Oregon however, I had to send it from the computer again because the imagery sent to the Oregon already had an unlock code embedded into it.

Now it gets a little tricky when your subscription expires. You can use any files that you have sent to your GPS or to a card forever on that same GPS - again, because there is a valid unlock code embedded in the data. However, you will no longer be able to send Birdseye from Basecamp to the GPS after the subscription expires. This is because it must be authorized whenever you send data, and your device will no longer be valid after the subscription expires.

So it's very important to backup the actual files AFTER sending them to the GPS. In other words, take the memory card from the GPS and copy those files to a folder on your computer. They will have the correct unlock codes embedded in them and will continue to work.