GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS 60cx and Basecamp

Started by Montwalleye, October 29, 2013, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montwalleye

I am struggling with Basecamp, I can load maps onto my 60cx from Mapinstall but when they load they seem to wipe out or cover up any map that was on there previously. I thought if I created a mapset in Basecamp (like the old Mapsource did) I could transfer it to the 60cx but I can not figure out how to do that. I have tried the "show all"  and turning the declutter after I load new maps but can't seem to find the other maps that were there previously. Do I need to get the GPS away from home/computer to see the other maps?

Red90

With "traditional" Garmin GPS units like the 60cx, it only allows one mapset to be loaded at a time and the previous maps are deleted.  There are some limited ways around this.  What you are meant to do is choose all of the maps you want on the unit first and send them together.

Montwalleye

I tried to select more than one map from the list on MapInstall but it only shows that it is going to install one (at a time). I can't figure out how to get the other two onto the list to install.

Boyd

I don't use Mapinstall to install maps myself, I still use Mapsource. Is there some reason why you want to use Basecamp? IMO it doesn't really offer any advantage over Mapsource on an old device like the 60csx.

babj615

MapSource is the correct software for the 60cx, and will allow you to accomplish what you desire by selecting a map, choosing which tiles to include, then selecting the next map and wanted tiles, etc. etc. The tile list will grow in the window to the left of the map view, and a total map size and tile count will also be visible.

When all map tiles have been selected, rename the map if desired, and send to your device.

The mapset will be saved to the 60cx as gmapsupp.img, overwriting any existing file.

The 60cx will allow you to enable individual map segments as needed.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Montwalleye

Okay I am going to go back to MapSource and give it a try. I'm not sure what version it is but I don't see how I can do much worse than what I have going on now.

Boyd

Mapsource was discontinued about 3 years ago, but still available from Garmin. Download the final version here. Depending on how old your version is, it may not recognize the .gmap format that is currently used by Garmin as well as some authors on this site.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on October 29, 2013, 04:14:30 PMIs there some reason why you want to use Basecamp? IMO it doesn't really offer any advantage over Mapsource on an old device like the 60csx.
Remember that BaseCamp with MapInstall tends to work better on Macintosh than MapSource, and will work just fine and dandy with the GPSMAP 60 series with a USB (not the 4 pin serial) connection.

Red90

I'm not sure what you are doing with Mapinstall,  but it will let you select as many tiles as you want.  make sure you have the newest version.  Click on whatever tiles you want, switch to a different mapset with the pulldown menu and select more.  Then continue and install.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Red90 on October 30, 2013, 12:00:49 PM
I'm not sure what you are doing with Mapinstall,  but it will let you select as many tiles as you want.  make sure you have the newest version.  Click on whatever tiles you want, switch to a different mapset with the pulldown menu and select more.  Then continue and install.
this is covered in the tutorial here:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit

Montwalleye

Okay I have been able to create a mapset on Mapsource with all the recent maps I have and installed it to my 60cx. Then I remembered I had several Montana road maps on a micro card I had used earlier after I got the GPS. They are no longer available on GPS file depot but when I put that card in the gps I can see them. Now I can't figure out how to get them from the card into mapsource so I can put them in my new mapset and upload all into the GPS.  I couldn't see how to do this in the tutorials but it might be there. On the computer they read gmapsupp ,  523,744 kb  ,Disc image file (I moved a copy to a document file) I am using Win 7 but they are still on the card too.

Red90

What I would do is rename that gmapsupp.img file to something else that works like gmapprom.img.  Then send the new maps to that same card.  They should then both work.

Montwalleye

Are you saying - take the newly updated card (from mapsource) out of the GPS, put it in the computer and transfer the maps from the previous card to it? I know when you use mapsource to transfer new data it wipes out the old, won't that happen in a micro sd card to micro sd card transfer? will the GPS read the old and new data?

babj615

Quote from: Montwalleye on October 30, 2013, 02:13:47 PM
Are you saying - take the newly updated card (from mapsource) out of the GPS, put it in the computer and transfer the maps from the previous card to it? I know when you use mapsource to transfer new data it wipes out the old, won't that happen in a micro sd card to micro sd card transfer? will the GPS read the old and new data?

Precisely why Red90 suggested......

Quote from: Red90 on October 30, 2013, 01:53:25 PM
What I would do is rename that gmapsupp.img file to something else that works like gmapprom.img.  Then send the new maps to that same card.  They should then both work.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Red90

All that Mapsource is doing is making a new gmapsupp.img file.  If you rename the second map, it will not be deleted.

So, yes, you want both map files on one card, with different names.  With the old units like yours, there are only a few specific file names that will work.