GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

AR topo too large for my Garmin 96c

Started by osalsa, September 10, 2013, 10:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osalsa

Brand new at this, I have my old 96c formerly used for aviation.  I would like to download the Arkansas topo 11, but the file size exceeds the 118 meg memory in my device.  My first idea to trim the map to just the area I need was squashed by a forum search, where I learned that I would have to make a new map.  Not quite ready for that yet!  My next idea was to create an "Adventure" in Basecamp, with the track defining a large rectangle, enclosing the portion of the map I need.  But the result was not a new, smaller map, but the entire map with the defined track depicted instead.   Is there any way I can get around the large size of the Arkansas topo 11?  Thanks,
Jim

Boyd

Not personally familiar with that map, but most of the maps on this site consist of many small "tiles", and you can choose only the ones that fit to be sent to the GPS. You can do this with either MapInstall or Garmin's older software Mapsource. Don't know anything about the 96c - does it have a serial interface or USB? If serial, then you must use Mapsource as Basecamp/MapInstall will not be compatible. I'll use Mapsource in this example.

See the tutorial here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mapsource

After selecting the tiles you want, click on the Maps tab in the left of the Mapsource Window. This will list all the tiles you have selected. At the bottom of the list it will show how many tiles you chose and how much storage space they require. Just do a little trial and error to be sure that the total is less than 118 MB, then send them to your device as shown in the tutorial.

It will be similar if you use MapInstall/Basecamp instead.

maps4gps

The average segment/quad size for that mapset is around 2 to 2.5Mb.  Just select those you need for transfer to your 96c.  See Boyd's post for more details.

osalsa

Thanks very much.  I followed your directions and the transfer went off without a hitch.  I really like the map depiction on my PC, and I wish I could take it with me while exploring the back roads in the Ozarks of Northwest Arkansas on my dirt-worthy motorcycle.  Getting lost several times, even with hard copies of the topo map has convinced me to use GPS, but the Garmin interface and display will take some getting used to!  I wonder if the new units are that much easier to use for basic navigation than my 96C?!

Again, I very much appreciate your help, Boyd and maps4gps. 

Jim

Boyd

Quote from: osalsa on September 10, 2013, 04:59:38 PMI wonder if the new units are that much easier to use for basic navigation than my 96C?!

I just looked up your device - looks like a GPSMap 76 with different software:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/discontinued/gpsmap-96c/prod277.html

If you want to upgrade, the Oregon 450 would give you a touchscreen that is slightly larger but much higher resolution. I think the user interface is easier to navigate on a touchscreen device, and it also has additional capabilities like the ability to display satellite imagery and scanned paper maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/oregon-450/prod63349.html

Street price is about $200

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450.html

There are many other options, but this one is arguably the best "bang for the buck". :)

osalsa

Boyd, that 450 is a lot for the money.  I bought my 96c used some years ago in anticipation of using it in a little homebuilt airplane project (still not finished), and as a backup in the corporate aircraft I flew.  I was amazed that the 96c was closely matched in accuracy and usability with the panel mount high dollar garmin gps in the airplane.  It is really everything you need in an airplane, short of  storing instrument approach procedures.  Now I explore the Ozarks on a dual sport motorcycle, and have found the info in the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer (topo maps, essentially) to be incomplete and hard to interpret, and that combined with the dearth of identifying signs on county and farm roads make a GPS seem essential.  The depictions in topos from GPSFileDepot are the best I've seen, and I am grateful to have them as a resource.  So far I'm using the GPS with the hard copy topos from Delorme, and I hope the combination will keep me from getting lost!  I think the 96c will fill that bill, but six months from now when I've done a lot more exploring, the added features in the new devices may be more enticing.  I appreciate your suggestions and assistance.

Jim