GPSFileDepot.com

Garmin Oregon 600-Error Occured while reading a file

Started by EdfromHerndon2013, September 01, 2013, 05:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdfromHerndon2013

Just got a Garmin Oregon 600 and have easily downloaded files from GPS file depot. I downloaded a friend's GPX via everytrail. However, when I open Base camp and have the GPS connected, I get the following:

Problem connecting with the Oregon 600. An error occurred while reading the following files Garmin/GPX/SNP-Alex.GPX..

I am a super newbie and need help.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7. Do I need some kind of installer?

Ed

Seldom

Don't have an OR600, but my nuvi 1490 gives me those errors all the time with BaseCamp.  I suspect it's a firmware problem that's never been addressed.  Manually move the file from your 600.  If it's something you don't want, delete it.  If it's something you want to keep try opening it using MapSource, and then re-saving it.  MapSource is more forgiving.  MapSource should install if you have BaseCamp already installed.  See this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/ if you have any questions.

EdfromHerndon2013

Thanks, ever so much, Seldom I will load Map Source and see if this helps. If not, I will be back.

I am going to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany this Friday to hike in the Bavarian Alps and hope to use my GPS there. Have found a topo via a friend but Garmin wants $169.90 for the file. Any free sources or moderately priced ones you know of?

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks.

Ed

EdfromHerndon2013

Tried Map Source and the Error Message said this when I tried to load the file: The .GPX file is not a valid source for Map Source.

Any other ideas? Please Help.

Ed

Seldom

No suggestions from me on the bad GPX, but somebody else here might have a suggestion.
For free European Topo check OpenFietsfMap and OpenCycleMap.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: EdfromHerndon2013 on September 02, 2013, 05:03:54 PMAny other ideas? Please Help.

Attach the .gpx file to your post so maybe someone can give it a looksee, maybe?

EdfromHerndon2013

Indrid Cold and all:

Attached is the .GPX file I have tried repeatedly to load on my OR600. Hope this helps. Perhaps the file is corrupt? I am such a green newbie.

Ed

babj615

This is a BaseCamp/MapSource/Garmin issue - nothing wrong with the GPSr itself, just Garmin very strict adherence to the standard GPX structure.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Ed, I ran this file through an xml verifier and there are errors with the file not being well formed.

Quote from: EdfromHerndon2013 on September 03, 2013, 05:52:21 PM
Indrid Cold and all:

Attached is the .GPX file I have tried repeatedly to load on my OR600. Hope this helps. Perhaps the file is corrupt? I am such a green newbie.

Ed

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on September 04, 2013, 03:59:59 AM
This is a BaseCamp/MapSource/Garmin issue - nothing wrong with the GPSr itself, just Garmin very strict adherence to the standard GPX structure.

Since Garmin designed the GPSr, and the GPSr's firmware can't create a GPX file that meets Garmin's strict standards, I'd say it could be a hardware issue.  That said, the GPSbabel opens the file, and previews it just fine.  Looks like it's near the Skyline Drive.   I opened and saved the file in Global Mapper, and the attached file works fine now in MapSource.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on September 04, 2013, 08:33:11 AM
Quote from: babj615 on September 04, 2013, 03:59:59 AM

Since Garmin designed the GPSr, and the GPSr's firmware can't create a GPX file that meets Garmin's strict standards, I'd say it could be a hardware issue.  That said, the GPSbabel opens the file, and previews it just fine.  Looks like it's near the Skyline Drive.   I opened and saved the file in Global Mapper, and the attached file works fine now in MapSource.
Actually BaseCamp is acting correctly, the "standard" called out in the document is http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/
BaseCamp is preventing the user from loading the non well formed .gpx file onto the GPSr as it should. Global mapper, on the other hand, is less picky with the errors and will reform the .gpx correctly by saving it as you have done.

popej

This gpx is not created by Garmin device. See: creator="GlobalMotion".

Indrid Cold

Quote from: popej on September 04, 2013, 09:41:36 AM
This gpx is not created by Garmin device. See: creator="GlobalMotion".
The file came from Everytrails.com as per the OP. Expect this type of situation from other GlobalMotion clients: http://www.globalmotion.com/products.html

EdfromHerndon2013

Thanks to all of you. I had to learn that my GPS Track Manager was showing the Date of he Track, not the file name I downloaded. Also, BettysRock 3 works like a charm. I also did not have my Show Map function set to on. I am deeply appreciative of your help to this newbie.

I am off to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany to hike the Bavarian Alps this Friday, September 6th from Washington, DC area. I am very excited now that you guys helped me to set my GPS up and that it works.

Garmin wants like $170.00 for a Germany Topo Map. Any of you guys know of one free and easily downloadable.

Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

:) Ed