GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

etrex 10 and basecamp

Started by simpleman44, August 01, 2013, 05:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpleman44

Hi folks im new here just found this great site the other day.  I have a question about the use of basecamp.  I currently have the etrex 20 and have my routes and waypoints backed up on basecamp.  My dad and i are heading to colorado in a month and he is considering getting a etrex 10.  Is it possible to add his gps to my basecamp and share my waypoints to his etrex.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Seldom

An Etrex 10 is a pretty basic device.  Looks like you'd be able to share tracks and waypoints using BaseCamp and a USB cable, but not much else:  no maps, no built in memory.

See the full specs here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/etrex-10/prod87768.html

Boyd

Actually there are multiple reports of people using maps on the eTrex 10. However you need to give them the reserved basemap name (gmapbmap.img) and the available memory is tiny. But you may be able to load a small part of your state (depends on the map).

If you try, be sure to backup the original gmapbmap.img and save it on your computer.

Red90

Serial devices do not work with Basecamp.  You can use Mapsource though with the Etrex 10. You can export the info from Basecamp to a file and then open the file in Mapsource.

Seldom

Quote from: Red90 on August 06, 2013, 01:44:43 PM
Serial devices do not work with Basecamp.  You can use Mapsource though with the Etrex 10. You can export the info from Basecamp to a file and then open the file in Mapsource.

Etrex 10 comes with a USB cable, not that funky older generation serial cable.

Boyd

Yeah, you're thinking of the older generation of cheap eTrex units. Garmin phased the last of those out perhaps a year ago. I found it amazing that they were still selling devices with serial interfaces in 2012.  ;)