GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

Started by babj615, July 23, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popej

If you change Family ID of an protected map, then it becomes locked, since unlock codes are created for Family ID number.

Seldom

Why would one want to use Data1 instead of Data0 + Endlevel?

I tried using GPSmapedit to "Extend Elements Up to Level 0" on babj615's sample map and it didn't work.  So I guess that GPSmapedit only changes the Endlevel value.

babj615, your map appears to define both sides of streets, sidewalks maybe?  There's a lot of that in OSM, and I find it to make the map overly complicated.  It's why I didn't include Los Angeles in Big Desert Southwest.

Seldom

Quote from: popej on July 24, 2013, 03:20:28 PM
If you change Family ID of an protected map, then it becomes locked, since unlock codes are created for Family ID number.
Interesting to know, but it sounded like babj615's map was created from original data.  Could he have accidentally selected an FID of a protected map somewhere else?  I've read about this sort of thing occasionally on the OSM forum.

babj615

All my maps are self made, none protected. Still puzzled by the Need Unlock Code, unless free cgpsmapper has an undocumented limitation. Of course, which version of cgsmapper to buy, and will it solve this issue?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 03:26:00 PM
Interesting to know, but it sounded like babj615's map was created from original data.  Could he have accidentally selected an FID of a protected map somewhere else?  I've read about this sort of thing occasionally on the OSM forum.

I used the same FID without issue when I installed smaller IMG files into Mapsource.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

Seldom

Never had that problem with free cgpsmapper, but it's been a couple years since I used it.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 03:22:34 PM
Why would one want to use Data1 instead of Data0 + Endlevel?

I tried using GPSmapedit to "Extend Elements Up to Level 0" on babj615's sample map and it didn't work.  So I guess that GPSmapedit only changes the Endlevel value.

babj615, your map appears to define both sides of streets, sidewalks maybe?  There's a lot of that in OSM, and I find it to make the map overly complicated.  It's why I didn't include Los Angeles in Big Desert Southwest.

You are experiencing exactly what I experienced. Regardless of setting levels to '0', GPSMapEdit did not actually set them to level zero.

Yes, deciding which data to use from OSM and which to toss will be one of my next projects, but I first have to create a functioning map start to finish. And I am almost there. Just need to figure out the 'Locked Map' issue.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 03:28:47 PM
Never had that problem with free cgpsmapper, but it's been a couple years since I used it.

May I ask which version you use?

Seldom

Personal version.  So I've got to give the maps away.

To change all the lines on your test map to Data0, I used Notepad++ and replaced all Data1s with Data0s.  Took about half a second on a file your size.  Big searches on my 300 MB tiles take about 3 or 4 seconds.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 03:46:43 PM

To change all the lines on your test map to Data0, I used Notepad++ and replaced all Data1s with Data0s.  Took about half a second on a file your size.  Big searches on my 300 MB tiles take about 3 or 4 seconds.

Just purchased the personal version of cgpsmapper, but in recompiling the *.mp maps with new version of cgpsmapper, I realized I may have accidentally scrolled the 'Code Page' input at the bottom of the *.mp file selection screen to something other than 1252 without realizing it.

Now recompiled, and installed with cgpsmapper Personal edition, trying multiple FIDs, and still the map is locked....

popej

To get protected map warning from Mapsource, you have to create protected TDB file, which probably could be done even with free cgpsmapper, actually cpreview program.  And with gmaptool. But I would rather expect that warning comes from commercial map, since you can easily damage installation with MapSetToolKit.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 03:46:43 PM

What do you do with the *.IDX files that are now created with each *.IMG file? - apparently an indexing file of some sort.

Just rebooted my machine, and now it seems even small IMG maps are all installed into MapSource with MapSetToolKit as LOCKED.

What a day :(

babj615

A bunch more testing.......

......and it seems I can combine up to 4 *.mp files in GPSMapEdit and export to IMG and install to MapSourcce via MapSetToolKit without needing an unlock key to see the map.

But, if I combine any five or more *.mp files in GPSMapEdit and export to IMG (this works fine), that IMG can be installed into MapSource, but the map can not be viewed without an unlock key.

Seldom

Are you using cpreview to create the TDB and background.IMG files?  If I use the "Install button" in MSTK, I need to have the TDB file and background.IMG file compiled before I run the install.  Note that cpreview doesn't like to run on OSM IMG files compiled by mkgmap. 

Check the cgpsmapper manual for details on how to run cpreview if you haven't already.  I generally run all my command line applications from a batch file.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 06:12:02 PM
Are you using cpreview to create the TDB and background.IMG files?  If I use the "Install button" in MSTK, I need to have the TDB file and background.IMG file compiled before I run the install.  Note that cpreview doesn't like to run on OSM IMG files compiled by mkgmap. 

Check the cgpsmapper manual for details on how to run cpreview if you haven't already.  I generally run all my command line applications from a batch file.

Huh.

MSTK has been populating ALL files in the (otherwise empty) specified directory, including the TDB and additional IMG file:

17771777.img
17772543.DEM
SW Trails BCF.img
SW Trails BCF.img.idx
SW Trails BCF.mdx
SW Trails BCF.mp
SW Trails BCF.reg
SW Trails BCF.tdb
swtol.typ