GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

Started by babj615, July 23, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwstock

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/oaconvert/nBJrZHUr0ys
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/message/6894

error is mentioned in MANY places-- I'm sure you have checked.  What amazes me is how rarely anyone seems to know what caused the error... some just get it to go away by altering the dictionary file, etc.

babj615

Quote from: hwstock on July 24, 2013, 06:29:45 AM
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/oaconvert/nBJrZHUr0ys
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/message/6894

error is mentioned in MANY places-- I'm sure you have checked.  What amazes me is how rarely anyone seems to know what caused the error... some just get it to go away by altering the dictionary file, etc.

Thank you. I had seen those conversations already, however I do not have a dictionary with my files.

I suspect maybe a hidden layer is being exported by GM that I can not see in GPSMapEdit, so I am doing some more research on exporting *.mp from GM. For me, GM is not nearly as user friendly or intuitive as GPSMapEdit. For example, I can not find any 'Deselect' function in GM.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

hwstock

Maybe you could post the entire source file (i.e. more than just the levels and zoom)?  More for my benefit, than yours!  cGPSmapper has a whole slew of delimiters, used by some calling programs, and not others.

What happens if you selectively take out an mp file and try to compile? Does one particular file break the camel's back?

babj615

Quote from: hwstock on July 24, 2013, 07:40:11 AM
Maybe you could post the entire source file (i.e. more than just the levels and zoom)?  More for my benefit, than yours!  cGPSmapper has a whole slew of delimiters, used by some calling programs, and not others.

What happens if you selectively take out an mp file and try to compile? Does one particular file break the camel's back?

Again, forgive my ignorance, please.

Are you asking for the XML/text of the *.mp file?

I have tried individual *.mp files, and all of the *.mp created with GM fail to export to IMG.

I also created a fresh *.mp without using GM, and I was able to export to IMG without issue.

Tell me exactly what you want, and I will be happy to provide it. I very much appreciate any and all assistance!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

Seldom

IIRC OSM has some unusual background polygons.  Try inspecting a problem tile in GM and delete any background size polygons that are not 0x4b.  Also, try using GM to set the Endlevel attribute on everything to 0.

hwstock

No, just what is given under the "source" tab when you hit alt-enter in GPSMapEdit.

popej

Error 32 probably means that file is empty. Wouldn't be difficult to verify it. Could you post a small mp file that doesn't compile?

babj615

Quote from: popej on July 24, 2013, 10:28:40 AM
Error 32 probably means that file is empty. Wouldn't be difficult to verify it. Could you post a small mp file that doesn't compile?

Thank you popej !

AZ Footway: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44223181/Map%20Issues/OSM%20AZ%20footway.MP

babj615

Quote from: hwstock on July 24, 2013, 08:22:14 AM
No, just what is given under the "source" tab when you hit alt-enter in GPSMapEdit.

Result:

; Generated by GPSMapEdit 2.0.77.1

[IMG ID]
CodePage=1252
LblCoding=9
ID=54880152
Name=OSM AZ footways
Preprocess=F
TreSize=511
TreMargin=0.00000
RgnLimit=127
Transparent=Y
POIIndex=Y
POINumberFirst=Y
POIZipFirst=Y
MG=Y
Numbering=Y
Routing=Y
Marine=N
Levels=4
Level0=24
Level1=23
Level2=22
Level3=20
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3
[END-IMG ID]

hwstock

Just to be sure -- you have the routable version of both programs, correct?  And the routable version of cGPSmapper?

As near I can tell, *.MP files are really just ascii-- you can open the smaller ones with notepad or wordpad.  There are delimiters before and after various entities in the file; some programs have different protocol for the delimiters.

Seldom

Quote from: hwstock on July 24, 2013, 12:06:13 PM
Just to be sure -- you have the routable version of both programs, correct?  And the routable version of cGPSmapper?

As near I can tell, *.MP files are really just ascii-- you can open the smaller ones with notepad or wordpad.  There are delimiters before and after various entities in the file; some programs have different protocol for the delimiters.

Both programs?  All versions of GPSmapedit can build routing graphs.  Only Personal or higher versions of cgpsmapper will do routing.  MP files are just big text files.  Notepad++ (not Notepad) has opened the largest I've ever made.  I need Notepad++ to edit highway shields.

babj615, I notice your header says Routing=Y.  If you haven't upgraded your cgpsmapper yet try un-checking the routing box in map properties.  Also, mkgmap used to compile MP files.  You might want to try that.  mkgmap is much more forgiving than cgpsmapper.

popej

I have downloaded your map. There are 2 problems. First - layer 0 is empty ;)

It is really empty. In source you have lines like:
[POLYLINE]
Type=0x16
EndLevel=2
Data1=(33.51523,-111.97684),

"Data1" means, that object is placed at layer 1. You should change it all to "Data0=...".

Next you have multiple lines, which aren't valid cgpsmapper source:
osm_id=171255053
lastchange=
code=5153
fclass=footway
name=old Road 6140
ref=
oneway=F
maxspeed=
layer=0
bridge=F
tunnel=F

I think cgpsmapper ignore unknown lines with format "keyword=value" but probably one of them is offending enough to ignore whole object. As e result again empty map ;)

hwstock

Quote from: Seldom on July 24, 2013, 12:52:07 PM
Quote from: hwstock on July 24, 2013, 12:06:13 PM

Both programs?  All versions of GPSmapedit can build routing graphs.  Only Personal or higher versions of cgpsmapper will do routing.  MP files are just big text files.  Notepad++ (not Notepad) has opened the largest I've ever made.  I need Notepad++ to edit highway shields.

Since both programs rely on cGPSmapper, wouldn't you say they are non-routing if there isn't a routing version of cGPSMapper installed? Tomato, ToMAHto.

babj615

OK, before I get too far ahead, I have found a work around (I will explain shortly) that allowed me to export IMG files from GPSMapEdit without error codes.

I did run into an issue where OLD polylines from a previous map were visible in MapSource after using MapSetToolKit to install the exported IMG. I eventually had to change the fmaily ID to a new number to resolve, even though MapSetToolKit did not list any installed maps with that family ID. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I am running Windows 8 64 bit, BTW.

Now, having found success exporting IMG files that load into MapSource OK, and look correct, and having sent several to my GPS to verify (all OK there too!), I created a blank *.mp file with GPSMapEdit, Added 18 *.mp files (all had successfully exported to IMG), saved the new *.mp file, and exported to IMG.

So far so good.

Used MapSetToolKit to install that IMG into MapSource, as before, but this time when I open MapSource, I am given a warning that my map file is LOCKED!

I am using the free version of cgpsmapper, and do not see a clear list of limitations listed here: http://cgpsmapper.com/index.htm

Does this ring a bell with anyone? How did my map get locked?  :o

babj615

Quote from: popej on July 24, 2013, 01:11:16 PM
I have downloaded your map. There are 2 problems. First - layer 0 is empty ;)

It is really empty. In source you have lines like:
[POLYLINE]
Type=0x16
EndLevel=2
Data1=(33.51523,-111.97684),

"Data1" means, that object is placed at layer 1. You should change it all to "Data0=...".

Next you have multiple lines, which aren't valid cgpsmapper source:
osm_id=171255053
lastchange=
code=5153
fclass=footway
name=old Road 6140
ref=
oneway=F
maxspeed=
layer=0
bridge=F
tunnel=F

I think cgpsmapper ignore unknown lines with format "keyword=value" but probably one of them is offending enough to ignore whole object. As e result again empty map ;)

Thank you popej.

That was one I had not yet checked. I do have others that do not show level 0 empty, but will not compile.

However, I started completely from scratch, extracting the polyline data I wanted from the OSM data using GM, and then exported as .GPX, not as *.mp files.

GPSMapEdit was able to import and convert the individual GPX files to polylines again, using a custom TYP, and saved as *.mp afterward.

These *.mp all export to IMG without error codes, and loaded individually into MapSource and my GPS correctly (after changing the family ID).

However, as I stated in the last post, after combining 18 *.mp files into a single *.mp, exporting to IMG (again, without error code), and installing into MapSource with MapSetToolKit, I am now warned that my new map is LOCKED in MapSource, and I am unable to use it...

Huge learning curve here for me, and I really do appreciate all your help!