GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

Started by babj615, July 23, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babj615

I recently had success exporting some trail maps I created in GPSMapEdit v2.0 to Garmin IMG format without issue.

I then created individual trail maps in GPSMapEdit for several states using identical settings for each state.

I have combined multiple state trail maps (*.mp) in GPSMapEdit and saved the new collective map as *.mp file.

When I try to export the collective *.mp map to Garmin IMG format with GPAMapEdit, and it runs cgsmapper, I get this:

cGPSmapper a GIS converter into GARMIN compatible format maps
Version : 0100d Nov 19 2010
Copyright(C) Stanislaw Kozicki, 2000-2010
[email protected]

THIS IS A FREE / SHAREWARE / PERSONAL VERSION OF CGPSMAPPER - YOU CAN USE
IT ONLY IF YOU AGREE WITH CGPSMAPPER NON COMMERCIAL LICENCE TERMS OF USE
BE SURE TO READ LICENCE.TXT FILE WHICH COMES TOGETHER WITH CGPSMAPPER
OR GO TO HTTP://CGPSMAPPER.COM
Non Commercial only - Free cGPSmapper version with extended set of types
Custom type definition    : YES
ESRI data support         : NO
POI full info             : NO
POI indexing              : NO
City indexing             : NO
Find intersection support : NO
Street numbers support    : NO
Street full address       : NO
Global indexing support   : NO
Auto-routing support      : NO
Marine (extended) types   : YES
Map locking support       : NO
          Garmin and MapSource are registered trademark or trademarks of
                     Garmin Ltd. or one of its subsidiaries.
              cGPSMapper home page: http://cgpsmapper.com
Importing and preprocessing data
Current import datum is: W84 :WGS 84 Global Definition II
Codepage set to: 1252
String coding: 8 bits
POI info sorting
Layer >>>>>>0<<<<<< generation
Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

Do any of the Map making masters here have any suggestions?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

babj615

Perhaps I am not combining *.mp files properly with GPSMapEdit?

I tried an older version of my map (consisting of several *.mp files imported into GPSMapEdit), and this one always succeeds in exporting to IMG, BUT, huge but, the exported IMG only has one very small section of the map. GPSMapEditor is only exporting data from the smallest *.mp map imported into the larger *.mp file.

My collective *.mp file is 39,663kb, and my exported IMG from the *.mp is only 7kb.

I can see all the data in the *.mp and it is all available on Level 0,1,2 with total levels of 0,1,2,3.

I don't understand what is happening here :(

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

Seldom

One way to fix is to take your full size map and Select All (Ctrl-A).  Then, using the "S" tool Right Click>Modify>Extend all elements to level 0.  (If you are too far out, they'll disappear, but just zoom in till you see them.)  Then Right Click> Modify> Extend all elements to the level you want them at. If you want them at different levels you'll need to create a "Dictionary".

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 23, 2013, 01:41:23 PM
One way to fix is to take your full size map and Select All (Ctrl-A).  Then, using the "S" tool Right Click>Modify>Extend all elements to level 0.  (If you are too far out, they'll disappear, but just zoom in till you see them.)  Then Right Click> Modify> Extend all elements to the level you want them at. If you want them at different levels you'll need to create a "Dictionary".

Thank you Seldom.

I have done exactly that, and saved the *.mp, but I still get the E032 error after attempting to export to IMG.

I have four levels, 0, 1,2, and 3.

All data was extended to level 0, *.mp saved, then all data extended to level 02, again *.mp file saved.

Export to IMG results in E032 every time.

I have even tried exporting several individual *.mp files without combining, and they all give the same result.

Seldom

Is your Level 0 24 bit?

This is a three active level version of the levels I use:
Levels=5
Level0=24
Level1=22
Level2=20
Level3=18

Zoom0=1
Zoom1=2
Zoom2=3
Zoom3=4

Try pasting it into the IMG ID part of your header.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 23, 2013, 02:44:50 PM
Is your Level 0 24 bit?

This is a three active level version of the levels I use:
Levels=5
Level0=24
Level1=22
Level2=20
Level3=18

Zoom0=1
Zoom1=2
Zoom2=3
Zoom3=4

Try pasting it into the IMG ID part of your header.

Those are exactly the levels and bits I am using for my maps.

To test a theory, I just created a FRESH blank map with GPSMapEdit, gave it the levels you just posted, and created a single track from NY to LA. I saved the *.mp, and then exported to IMG without issue.

My other trail map *.mp files were all created with GlobalMapper from OSM shapefiles. I had to extract the trail data from the OSM transportation data in GM (GPSMapEdit does not yet have this function) and export that data as *.mp files.

I then opened each of these exported *.mp files with GPSMapEdit, set the track types, saved the *.mp, combined all the adjusted *.mps into a single *.mp, then tried the export and that is where I get the layer 0 error.

But I do not know why.

hwstock

Why not use MapSetToolKit to combine the separate img files into one map group? You can make the img files from separate mp files.

I'm guessing you want to eliminate the annoying overlap for states that are compiled separately to img(s).

Seldom

How are you combining? In GM?  Try opening a single file in GPSmapedit and ADDing.  Or try opening multiple instances of GPSmapedit and copying and pasting.  Were you using a template with the correct levels to export vector from GM to MP?

maps4gps

Why not use GM to open all the .mp files it created and make a combined .mp file?
Or some other format like .shp, etc., then a combined .mp file?

babj615

Quote from: hwstock on July 23, 2013, 03:42:36 PM
Why not use MapSetToolKit to combine the separate img files into one map group? You can make the img files from separate mp files.

I'm guessing you want to eliminate the annoying overlap for states that are compiled separately to img(s).

Yes, I need to combine each area map to check and correct overlaps etc. :)

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 23, 2013, 04:25:45 PM
How are you combining? In GM?  Try opening a single file in GPSmapedit and ADDing.  Or try opening multiple instances of GPSmapedit and copying and pasting. 

I am doing all the combining in GPSMapEdit, as I find it much more user friendly for editing trail types and using custom TYP files.

I combine in GPSMapEdit initially by opening one of the *.mp files and dragging and dropping each additional *.mp file until all map data is displayed, and I save the new group as a new *.mp file. Then I check overlaps, make slight adjustments, etc. I have also tried doing the same by using the ADD menu function, as well as opening each separate *.mp file, copying the tracks from each and pasting them into a completely new, made from scratch *.mp (in GPSMapEdit), but that file also always returns the level 0 error when attempting to export to IMG.

The only common thread I see is the *.mp files exported by GM will not successfully export to IMG from GPSMapEdit, while any *.mp file that is NEVER touched by GM always exports OK.

Unfortunately, GM is the only software I have that can extract the trails out of the OSM transportation data files that contain all road/trail/track/etc types in a single *.shp file, and GPSMapEdit is the only tool I know that can convert *mp to IMG format.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 23, 2013, 04:25:45 PMWere you using a template with the correct levels to export vector from GM to MP?

I need to know more about this. I am not using any template in GM. Perhaps this is the entire issue. I am such a newbie. Thank you all so much for your help. I apologize for my lack of understanding. I have been up several nights for hours trying everything I could imagine, and googling until all the words on the page started to melt together.... :)

babj615

Quote from: maps4gps on July 23, 2013, 04:57:50 PM
Why not use GM to open all the .mp files it created and make a combined .mp file?
Or some other format like .shp, etc., then a combined .mp file?

If I could do it all in one program, that would be a great solution, but I am currently finding both GM and GPSMapEdit  both offering unique functions I (think I) require.

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on July 23, 2013, 07:42:43 PM
The only common thread I see is the *.mp files exported by GM will not successfully export to IMG from GPSMapEdit, while any *.mp file that is NEVER touched by GM always exports OK.

GM has NEVER given me any problems with an MP export.  It even preserves routing tables if you import them.

babj615

Quote from: Seldom on July 23, 2013, 09:49:39 PM
Quote from: babj615 on July 23, 2013, 07:42:43 PM

GM has NEVER given me any problems with an MP export.  It even preserves routing tables if you import them.

I am sure it is not GM per se, but rather my inexperience with this whole process :)

All my maps worked flawlessly with GPSMapEdit until I started importing data exported from GM. I just need to determine what I am doing wrong when I export from GM.