News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapSetToolkit > Unable to select segments to send to GPS

Started by Zosimos, July 22, 2013, 12:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zosimos

Greetings:

I performed a search of topics but didn't see any threads related to this issue.

I followed the tutorial 'How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit' to create a map in Mapsource from a six or seven .img files I received from the S.F. Bay Area Midpeninsula Regional Open Space Preserve Web site. These .img files were packaged in a zip file and I had to rename them to conform to the eight character numeral format required by MapSetToolkit.

The map loaded fine in Mapsource, but when I tried to load it to my GPS (using tutorial 'How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit' (Garmin Colorado 300)) I was unable to select the map to send to my device. Is it because I'm using the free version of cgpsmapper for Windows? I'm able to select segments of my Ibycus USA 2.0 map just fine.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Seldom

My guess is that there's a problem with the files you got.  When you try to select tiles in MapSource do they turn pink with a yellow outline?

Boyd

You could try bypassing Mapsource completely and just use SendMap20 to send the map to your GPS. Scroll down near the bottom of the page and you can download it here, it's free: http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm

If they are just distributing .img files, this might be the way they're installing them since it's very straightforward.

Some people also use Mapwel and it has a similar utility called Mapupload for sending .img files: http://www.mapwel.net/

One thing to understand is that .img files are containers that may hold more than one thing. So the files you have may not be quite what you expect. For example, if they were created with Mapwel, then they will have .typ files embedded and will not work properly with MapSetToolkit. Same thing if they contain multiple .img files.

Zosimos

Thank you for the replies.

I don't know much about the .img files. There is no documentation that accompanies them or instructions on how to use them on the S.F. Bay Area Midpeninsula Regional Open Space Preserve Web site.

To answer Seldom's question, no they do not turn pink with a yellow line when I select them in Mapsource. The maps appear to have been correctly compiled, though. They display the park names, regions, topography, elevations, trails, and even parking waypoints.

I will try the SendMap20 tool as Boyd suggests. I didn't realize these containers include  instructions pointing to specific tools needed to download the data to GPS devices. I'm not very familiar with the files contained in these images. I tried to mount the images on my desktop but was unsuccessful, so I don't really know what is inside them.

Zosimos

Thank you,  Boyd! The SendMap20 application worked like a charm!  :)

Boyd

Great, glad that worked. But I really don't understand your comment about containers pointing to specific tools.  :-\ A container is a file that has more than one thing inside, or that can contain different kinds of data.

Another example of a container would be a QuickTime movie. It might contain uncompressed high definition video, standard definition DV or a highly compressed low resolution web video. It is up to the user to make certain that he has the software that's needed for these different things installed on his computer.

You cannot "mount .img files on your desktop". They are system files that only make sense when they've been installed into Garmin's mapping software. Normally a user would not need to directly mess with .img files at all.