GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon450t

Started by mgoins, July 22, 2013, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoins

I was recently given an Oregon450t.  I bought a 4G micro card and want to download the colorado topo 2011 to use on it.   Do I need to download basecamp or something on my computer before downloading  the colorado map?  Can I just download the map and then send it to my micro card without even opening it?  I thought that the oregon 450t has basecamp or mapsource already on it....am I wrong?  Please help. ???

Seldom

You need to install BaseCamp, shut it down, and then run the installer that comes with the map.  You can't send the contents of the installer to the GPSr.  BaseCamp's sub application MapInstall needs to do that.

Read:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

mgoins

Thanks.  OK, I have installed Basecamp and closed it.  Is the next step downloading the topo map from GPS FileDepot.? 

Seldom

Download the mapset and run the installer.

You might want to read this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

mgoins

Base Camp is installed.  I went to the colorado topo and the instructions said that there was a problem with this map installed on a computer unless I installed a 32 bit map first and said what map to use.  I installed this and then opened Basecamp.   It looked like it was there under my trails, so I downloaded and installed the colorado map.  It did not show on basecamp.  I did a search of my computer for it and found three files.  The largest was in Program Files and two small ones: cotopo11TDB and a cotopo img. were listed in administrators documents.  I copied the large file to my documents, because I thought I was going to have to import it to basecamp.

I just saw your 2nd post.  I went to that site and tried clicking maps. It didn't show at first but I went back again later and it was there.  Is it supposed to be listed under my collection?
the map is only showing main highways and lakes.  The map site warned me that my computer did not have a large enough video card to show all detail, so I don't know if that is why it's not showing topo.  It will not allow me to choose 3D on map view.
"how to load maps to garmin" says to right click on card and choose map install.  When I right click on card nothing happens.  what now?

Seldom

Set your detail level to high to see contours.  Are you trying to install the map to a card reader?  If so, try installing to a card in the GPSr with the GPSr connected to your PC.  Are you using a map from this site?  I wasn't aware that the site issued warnings about the size of your graphics card.  3D is not an option for any maps on this site.  You need to buy from Garmin to get 3D.

mgoins

OK I found the detail toolbar and added it to the page so I could increase detail and that worked.  I am working with a colorado map from this site.  How do I choose the map to download it to a card if it is not listed in my collection.  The only place I see it listed is in the dropdown list of maps.   If I install it to the card while it is in the GPSr,  how do I get it to install on the card and not the unit itself?  Thanks so much for sticking with me.

Seldom

Find your GPSr on the Devices list in BaseCamp.  The card will be right below it.  Right Click on the card.

mgoins

I put the card in the GPSr and wired it to the computer.  Basecamp copied everything that was on it.  I see the card listed, but the colorado topo map is only listed in the dropdown list for maps at the top of the page.  It is not listed in my collection or anywhere else, so how do I choose it to download to the card?

Seldom

See the tutorial I listed above.  Select the map from the dropdown menu and send maps to card in device.

mgoins

That worked.  I didn't realize that the dropdown list wouldn't show up until I clicked "install maps".
Thank you so much for your help.  I was nervous trying to do this thinking I might to something to mess up the garmin.   Now we have to learn to navigate this thing so we can enjoy it in
colorado next month. 

Seldom

Quote from: mgoins on July 23, 2013, 10:32:36 PM
  I was nervous trying to do this thinking I might to something to mess up the garmin. 
A good reason to send maps to the card instead of internal memory.  If anything goes wrong you can just remove the card and format it.