GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 60CSX Power issue?

Started by Foolish, July 17, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foolish

Hey guys I need some help with my garmin.  I have a 60CSX I got it late 2009 and it won't stay powered on.  It shuts off seconds after I turn it on. I've changed the batteries a dozen times, and even tried it plugged in.  It will start and fade out.  I have put this model through everything so wear and tear is completely possible!  I just want to know if I should send it out to pasture and get a new one.  Thanks in advance!  You guys are awesome.

Boyd

Will it run continuously when you connect a USB power supply?

Seldom

If Boyd's suggestion works, look for loose battery connections (maybe stretch the spring).  Also, 60CSXs had a problem with their power switch getting worn.  Anything other than stretching the battery spring is an internal repair, but if you are thinking of tossing it anyway, it could be a valuable learning experience.

hwstock

What kind of batteries are you using?

Red90

It is most likely the contacts between the battery case and the main board.  All of the garmin handhelds have contacts between the battery case and the board instead of hard wires.  These become dirty or loose and cause intermittent power loss.

Open the case and clean the contacts, then bend them out to give more pressure.  Just Google if you need details.  It is quite easy.  It is a common problem when mountain biking as the vibration knocks these units out.

Foolish

It will shut down with usb or battery.  I pulled the case apart and the contacts between the backside and motherboard look fine i guess.  I can try tweeking them to rule them out as part of the problem.  Thanks for the info!

Red90

This is a long standing and common issue on this model.  here is a 7 year old thread.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141469

popej

Have you tried to start it without SD?

Seldom

Quote from: popej on July 18, 2013, 02:00:32 PM
Have you tried to start it without SD?
Good point, I had a bad microSD card in my OR300, and it wouldn't boot with the card in until I formatted it again.  I haven't ever had that problem with my 60CSX, but removing the card's certainly worth a try.

Foolish

Wow. Never would have tried taking out the sd card!  That worked!  I've had the same card in for over a year now.  Way cheaper than a new unit.  Thanks So Much!

popej

Are you saving tracks on SD? 60CSx creates one file a day, I have heard that too many files can make GPS crash the way you described. Maybe you can simply format SD and use it again.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Foolish on July 19, 2013, 03:45:55 AM
Wow. Never would have tried taking out the sd card!  That worked!  I've had the same card in for over a year now.  Way cheaper than a new unit.  Thanks So Much!
Bad card? Never had one go bad but I know someone that always has card problems.

I get my datacards directly from Kingston: http://www.kingston.com/us/
This prevents getting a counterfeit card and they are pretty cheap direct.

This page has some interesting use info on preventing corrupt data:
http://www.kingston.com/us/flash/caring_for_your_flash_memory

Foolish

Yeah. its a sandisk 4 gb i've had for awhile now. Didn't realize I had my street navigation loaded on it.  I'll check out the links.

I just used the gps for 2 hours on a flight this morning without a hitch.  Thanks again to all of you guys!