News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Shape file to img file

Started by kpd, May 26, 2009, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpd

Hello -

I'm new here, and new at map making - I have a question - forgive me if it's remedial - but it's got me stumped -

I've downloaded a shape file from the New York State Dept Env Conservation - it's essentially a big polygon shaded to show public lands in NY - my plan is to make it transparent and load it to my GPS (Garmin GPS60CSX) with the NY topo - when I use GPSMapEdit, save it as a Polish format, then try and export it as a .img file - here's what I get

"INPUT data Error - E017 - Cannot parse coordinates"

Any ideas?

Thanks - kpd

Indrid Cold

What format were the co-ords of the shapefile in? UTM, geo or something else???
From the manual:
QuoteE017 Cannot parse coordinates. e.g. (2.3.4,2.2)

kpd

UTM (Northern Hemisphere) -

Indrid Cold

Quote from: kpd on May 26, 2009, 01:10:54 PM
UTM (Northern Hemisphere) -
If you mean the files from here: http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gisdata/inventories/
Then I would reproject the shapefile from UTM to geo/wgs84 to work with cGPSMapper.

leszekp

kpd

Yes, this is where the shapefile I'm refering to is located -  http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gisdata/inventories/

I'll try reshaping to geo/wgs84 right now, thanks - I'll also try MapWindow if that diesn't work - thanks again

Indrid Cold

It should work fine. Good link for data, thanks.

kpd

Well, I got to an img file, but now I can't get MapSetTooKit to see it - any ideas?

Indrid Cold

is the .img file named as such: "12345678.img" Each file must have an 8 digit number as it's name to work.

kpd

yes, I've named it 12311971.img

-Oz-

Define see it?

Also, are file extensions showing up in windows; if not perhaps you have a file named 12311971.img.???
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!