GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Does your GPS capitalize the word MILL?

Started by Boyd, July 11, 2013, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Seriously. With more recent firmware, I see this on two different Nuvi's as well as my Montana. Try doing an address search on your GPS for anything you like - streets, cities, POI's. The word Mill is always capitalized. For example:

MILL Haven Rd
MILL City OR
Paper MILL Playhouse

If you have a moment, try this and if you get the same thing post what model GPS you're using. Basecamp doesn't do this, so I think it's a recent global change in Garmin firmware. Very strange.

Boyd

Once again, Popej has the answer. Evidently the firmware thinks MILL is a Roman Numeral!  ;D

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=27982

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on July 11, 2013, 03:19:16 PM
Evidently the firmware thinks MILL is a Roman Numeral!  ;D
That would be odd as it is an improperly formatted Roman numeral, you would never have 2 L's in sequence. Might be better to drop Garmin a note at their Montanabeta email address so they might get this addressed.

Boyd

Yeah, it's a bug. And it's not just the Montana. I am also seeing it on the Nuvi. There must have been a global decision to "improve" the firmware on all recent devices. I think Popej is right, probably the result of poorly written code to deal with Roman numerals.

I have already reported to Garmin Support, FWIW....

Boyd

I just received a response from Garmin support saying they will look into this issue. Now, of course that doesn't mean they'll fix anything, but I'm impressed that they got back to me so quickly - less than 12 hours after I sent in the report. I just used the support link at MyGarmin.