GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex20 and Customized Maps

Started by Jimwnc28806, June 30, 2013, 03:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimwnc28806

I've downloaded "My Trails" by jbensman and began using the tutorials by Dan Blomberg and Rex Coggins.
I've downloaded and installed the BaseCamp and MapInstall software. When I open BaseCamp, with my eTrex connected to my computer it lists my device and the gpsmps file shows in red in the column under the device. Temporarily that is. It disappears within seconds. In the "My Collection" column there is nothing but an empty folder labled "Unlisted Data". I should add that I downloaded the maps directly to my device via a USB cable and NOT on a microSD card.

When I enable gpsmps with the device unplugged from the computer it simply shows the triangular marker but nothing else. I have disabled the pre-loaded maps.I hope I did something simple that is wrong.

Yesterday while on a hike (one that I've never been on) I came to a junction and took the wrong route and it added three miles onto an already 7 miler. That's the exact reason I bought this thing because so many books, etc. are outdated or merely wrong.

If anyone could make some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Indrid Cold

Did you load the "My Trails" mapset to your eTex 20? This is an overlay mapset that us used in conjunction with either a Topo or streetmap. Did you also load on of these and have both enabled in the profile selected on the eTrex? 

Jimwnc28806

Thanks for the info, Indrid. I did not download a topo but there is one for North Carolina that I will download and install right now. Thank you.

Jimwnc28806

Indrid,

I installed the NC topo map and BaseCamp indicated that the transfer was successful. I went to the selection screen and enabled both the gpsmps and topo maps. Satellite reception was good but then I went to Maps and nothing has changed.

Thank you.