GPSFileDepot.com

GPSmapedit inconsistent when adding routable to non-routable.

Started by Seldom, July 07, 2013, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I keep my routable data as one map and my non-routable data (contours, hydro, etc.) as another map and ADD the routable data to the non-routable data using GPSmapedit.  I test the quality of the routable data by doing a quick batch compile of the routable MP files, because the Verify Map tool in GPSmapedit often misses TOO CLOSE NODES that cgpsmapper chokes on.

But recently, I've noticed that cgpsmapper 10.0D will compile the maps that are just routable data, but when the routable maps are ADDed to the non-routable, cgpsmapper finds a new batch of TOO CLOSE NODES.  I then go back to my original routable data, correct the nodes in the new list, and everything compiles correctly.

Although not many folks in this group are interested in routing, I'd appreciate comments from anyone (popej?) who can suggest why this might be happening.

popej

I'm using similar procedure. I have separate layers with different features that I concatenate to get final map.  I haven't noticed problems that you describe, but actually I use awk script to concatenate non-routable parts.

Is there any hint in sources that you have to correct? Are these new nodes, moved nodes, duplicated nodes?

"Snap to grid" option in GPSMapEdit can move nodes, but this should work similar to cgpsmapper processing. "Snap to grid" can make your file different when you read and save it without any editing.

Seldom

Thanks, popej.

I can't find a "snap to grid" setting in GPSmapedit, but it only lets me move points to what appears to be a grid.  Can you point me to the setting that turns it on or off.

Most of the routable data is from OSM, and the people who edit are overenthusiastic/sloppy about detail, mostly on walkway roundabouts.  Mkgmap doesn't care about too close nodes, but cgpsmapper does. 

A representative error that cgpsmapper reported as "less than 2 meters" measured 11 feet (3.3m) in GPSmapedit, so I suspect something odd in the way cgpsmapper calculates the distance.

popej

"Snap to grid" has a checkbox at Tools, Options, Edit tab. It works at map loading and when creating new objects.

For both, cgpsmapper and GPSMapEdit, minimal distance for nodes is 2.4m. I expected it to be defined in grid values, but it is not. There was a correction in some recent GPSMapEdit, you can check if "Verify Map" works better now.

Seldom

Thanks for the pointer, popej.  I had it set.  Verify Map is still not working.  Just did half of Phoenix, AZ. and came across 104 node errors that GPSmapedit had missed.  The peculiar thing about them is that if I compile just the roads, there are no errors, but when I add the roads to my basemap, I get lots of errors.

I've forwarded a sample file to Konstantin Galichsky.  Maybe he'll be able to do something with it.

Seldom

Konstantin replied that the error appeared to be with cgpsmapper, not his software.  This agreed with the measurements I made on my maps, so I started running cgpsmapper with the "-e" option and it "treated all errors as warnings" and completed a good compile.

Anybody have an idea what would happen if two nodes actually were closer than 2.4 meters?