GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

BaseCamp will not recognize Oregon Topo

Started by syntaxerrorsix, June 27, 2013, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntaxerrorsix

Evening all, I've installed the Florida Topo without issue however the Oregon Topo will not show up in the list of available maps to display.  Both maps were installed per instructions with BaseCamp not running.  The only difference I noted was where the Oregon installer placed the files. I've attempted placing them in the same directory as the Florida Topo files wanted to be but no joy.

I've uninstalled Florida Topo and tried installing Oregon Topo alone with no success.  Can't seem to get it to work.  Florida Topo works fine.  Any thoughts?

Edited....  Never mind.  The machine I was installing from is 64 bit.  Never even crossed my mind.  Loading a 32bit installer first took care of the issue.

Nothing to see here... move along.

tr911

That pretty much sums it up for me too, except I've tried to load the Alabama topo. Are you running windows 8?

tr911

I noticed that both maps that are the trouble makers are from the same creator, maps4gps, may be he can input some instructions.

tr911

Yep, I installed Florida and it works like a charm.

syntaxerrorsix

I was using my work machine which runs Win 7 and is 64 bit.  This was the problem.  There is a disclaimer that states if you are running a 64 bit machine you must first install a 32 bit map like "My Trails" first in order to get the Oregon map to be seen by BaseCamp.  It's a work around.... but it works.

Everything I own is 32 bit and runs Linux so it took a moment for it to dawn on me that I may be using a 64 bit machine and needed to use the work around.  Give it a shot.

maps4gps

Interesting that you mention you had the FL mapset working but the OR mapset would not.
The FL mapset uses a 32-bit installer.  I used one of my own old (32-bit installer) mapsets when I got a 64-bit PC.  The 'My trails ...' is suggested as it is small in size and is of interest to may users.

syntaxerrorsix

I'm also not able to have any portion the Oregon or Florida Topo on the unit (Etrex 30) at the same time.  It will list one or the other but not both in the map selection area.

maps4gps

Basecamp uses the default name gmapsupp.img when it sends data from a mapset to the 'new' models of GPSr.  Change it to a name which has some meaning to you and has the .img extension.  I think there were some posts mentioning that the more recent versions of BC allow you to specify a file name before BC sends the mapset data to the GPSr. 

If there is already a file named gmapsupp.img on the GPSr, the new data BC sends will overwrite the existing gmapsupp.img file.

syntaxerrorsix

I'll work that in the morning.  Thanks for the lead.

syntaxerrorsix

Ok, used Mapsource this time.  Loaded up both maps.  Only the Florida Topo shows up on the selection menu however scrolling on the GPS map I find that the data for both states are available.

Works for me.

maps4gps

Sounds like you selected data from both mapsets and then sent them to the Etrex 30 as a single file.  If you send one mapset to the GPSr, rename it, then send the second one, they should each be listed on the GPSr.

syntaxerrorsix

I was under the impression that every time I write to the card it deletes the current info therefore the only way to get both maps is to send them over at the same time.  There does not appear to be a way to change the file name before sending.

syntaxerrorsix

Ok muddled through it.

Upload Florida Topo, go into SD card rename from gmapsupp.img to Florida Topo.
Upload Oregon Topo, go into SD card rename from gmapsupp.img to Oregon Topo.

Cannot be done through BaseCamp that I found.

I can now enable or disable Florida or Oregon Topo.

Thanks for the help maps4gps

Seldom

Quote from: syntaxerrorsix on June 29, 2013, 08:01:10 AM
Cannot be done through BaseCamp that I found.

That's odd.  The last time I tried to send multiple mapsets to my GPSr BaseCamp was smart enough to give the IMG file on the GPSr the same name as the mapset.  MapSource couldn't do that, and it might not do that if you tried to send maps from different mapsets to the GPSr at the same time.

Can anybody confirm if BaseCamp screwed up again?

syntaxerrorsix

BaseCamp and MapSource both provided the given name when scrolling though the available maps on the GPSr.  It was only while reading the SD card directory that you would find the gmapsupp.img file name.  Apparently the GPSr displayed the alias while a direct read would give the .img file name so in order to have multiple "gmapsupp.img" we are required to rename them to reflect their actual content in order to view them on the device.

Rookie analysis.  Free of charge...