News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

newbie with Garmin map60csx

Started by cjz_here, May 15, 2009, 05:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjz_here

???
I've downloaded the US20 3 times (don't ask). Using my reader I loaded it to my micro 2 gig. They show up there in their garmin folder on my pc. Insert the card into the gpsr and I can't get the thing to find the mass storage device - when I try to "setup" it goes to the mass storage icon and stays there. Tried both the garmin and NMEA Data format - neither will allow setup of the mass data storage and ability to setup the ibycus USA 20 map onto the gpsr.

I haven't got a clue what to try now. Help!

Cj.

-Oz-

Did you try follow these directions: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Are you 100% sure you've fully seated the card; I've had that issue before.

And can you see how much space is available on the GPS?  You shouldn't need to go to mass storage mode unless you're plugged in to a computer via usb.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

cjz_here

I am attempting to go through Mapsource now. Problem is that there is an "error" attempting to use the USA map and I'm having to download it again (4th time) according to Mapsource.

The card shows total capacity of 1.83 gigs with the USA2 and FL topo 426m of free space on the card. The only thing I can get from mapsource is the error - no other program or other screens come up as in the tutorial examples.

I assume the card is properly seated. It fits into the side nitches and the frame is fully down. There is no play that I can see.

I cannot "see" the gpsr through "my computer". I get the acoustical warning that it's connected but otherwise - nada.  When I go to the gpsr I get the "connected" notification. Doesn't appear to be doing me any good though.. *sigh*

Cj.

cjz_here

Ok - went through MapSource as the tutorial shows. Downloaded the maps to the device (MS gave successful transfer). Go to the map setup screen and the maps aren't listed. Went to the Mass Storage screen and all I get is the constant USB cable connection to the computer (as previously reported) -btw this locks the device into the Mass Storage screen and I have to turn it off to get back out. Yes, I've tried it both in contact with the computer and without. Same thing.

Still no joy - any suggestions? I guess it's the same problem as before - downloaded maps are not showing up in the map setup page to be chosen.

-Oz-

when you load it onto the card is there a garmin folder on the card with gmapsupp.img (i think thats the right name)?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

cjz_here

Quote from: -Oz- on May 18, 2009, 08:23:04 PM
when you load it onto the card is there a garmin folder on the card with gmapsupp.img (i think thats the right name)?

Yep, everything as expected. All the folders in place and files the correct size (as indicated by comparing the download size in MS and the size of the file on the chip).

Turns out this was an equipment "error" (made by me). The chip has a gate to hold it inside the battery compartment. Everything else being ok - if that doggonned thing doesn't get completely locked into place it doesn't read. I've got no idea how it could possibly download properly (which MS indicated with the chip inside the unit attached via USB to the computer) but it did. Up and running now!

If you've got a reader download times are reduced exponentially so use it!

Thanks to everyone who answered. Greatly appreciated the help. To the rest - check to see that your chip is locked down! The blessed thing will move partially into place but still not lock! If there is *any* play in the chip it's NOT locked into place. Make sure the chip is in the side notches and the gate is fully down then pull the gate back toward you (down toward the bottom of the unit) until it's secured. Mine clicks slightly but that might not be true in all situations so don't expect it.

The weird part is getting successful downloads - threw me off the track initially. Since I reformatted the chip and used the reader the last time, I don't know if it actually did get a readable download or not. That's up for debate (whether MS erroneously reports the download or actually would download to the loose chip usable files).

BTW - she works *great* in the field!

Cj.

-Oz-

Yea, that was the problem I was trying to refer to.  Maybe I should have been a bit more specific.

I've had it before.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!