News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can I pop the hood on my Nuvi 500?

Started by Compass Rosie, May 21, 2009, 03:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compass Rosie

There are two things I'd like to do.
First, can I edit the built-in POI database? It shows places that aren't there any more, and places that never were there: In my residential neighborhood it shows a neighbor as a retail store. OK maybe he has an online business, but I don't need to drive there, now do I?
(A related question: who chooses the POIs? Do places pay to be included?)

Second, I'll be using it for inventorying cemetery markers. When I save a site as a favorite, no lat/longs appear on the screen. Will they be there when I download the data?

Indrid Cold

Well, they are embedded into the maps in the unit. To update the info, one goes here: http://mapreporter-test.navteq.com/dur-web-external/ and reports outdated info, and once they are updated, you load an updated map. Favorites are waypoints, so the lat/longs should be there when you upload that data to a computer but someone with a nĂ¼vi will have to clear this up for you.

-Oz-

Yes, if you load the favorites into MapSource (waypoints there) the coordinates will be shown.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Compass Rosie

Thank you both!

I've been making maps for 30 years, but this is all new to me!

Boyd

Assuming the 500 is like other Nuvi's, here's how to save a favorite to include the coordinates. Press Menu > Where To > Coordinates. You will get a screen which shows your current coordinates. There should be a Save button at the bottom of the screen. Tap that and you will save your current position as a waypoint with coordinates.

This is just from memory and I don't have a Nuvi here at the moment. So it might be slightly different but this is the basic concept.