GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 450T-new batteries but unit will not stay on

Started by Diane, May 03, 2013, 08:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane

I am new to this: I downloaded free maps-MT Cadastral and MT_topo 2012.2 (from mytopomap) and saved them to my Scandisk 16 gb.  Now the problem might be I think that I might have deleted the preloaded map on the unit. But from what I read that is not possible. Now the unit turns on for about 20 seconds and automatically shuts off. I had Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in the unit. So thinking they might be dead, threw in some alkaline brand new batteries and still it turns off.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

popej

Have you tested your GPS without SD card? Or with SD but without maps on SD?

Seldom

Quote from: Diane on May 03, 2013, 08:38:32 AM
Now the problem might be I think that I might have deleted the preloaded map on the unit. But from what I read that is not possible.
popej has the first and easiest fix, but....

I've read that folks have moved the Topo from the 450T, and used other maps in that free memory, and I'm pretty sure that the basemap on the 450T is eraseable.   On an OR300 it's called gmapbmap.img, and it should be in the Garmin folder in the unit's internal memory.  I haven't tried to delete mine, so I don't know if it's write protected, but take a look at what IMG files are in the Garmin folder.

Before you do anything, back up your device to a hard drive.

Boyd

It sounds like the gps is "crashing" due to a corrupted map file. I saw the same thing happen on my Oregon 400t a number of years ago while testing one of my own new maps.

First, just remove the card as Popej suggests. If it still happens, then connect to your computer again. Does the computer recognize the Oregon? If not, then try the recovery procedures listed in M3 here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous

When you can access the Oregon on your computer, delete the map that you just sent. It will be in the Garmin folder, possibly named gmapsupp.img although newer software might have another name. It will be an .img file though, and the modification date should give you a clue to which it is. The preloaded topo map should be named gmapprom.img - don't delete that! There is also a time zone map gmaptz.img which shouldn't be deleted. There may be a file named gmapbmap.img too (although not on my 400t).

Before doing anything though, make a backup of your entire Oregon to your computer. It may take awhile because the topo map is almost 3GB, but it could save you a lot of grief in the future.

Diane

Thanks for the input I will work on this, although I am busy this weekend and may not get to it until Monday. I will let you know if this works.

Indrid Cold

Another thing to consider, take the batteries out if the equation. Use the included USB lead to power the GPS from your computer to see if if starts fully. Pull the card first.

babj615

Boyd is right on the money, the unit is crashing due to an improperly formatted or corrupted file. The offending file will need to be located and removed, which can be a long painful process, especially if it is in internal memory, and not on the uSD card.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador