GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit->Garmin maps - what's going on with my background?

Started by nm_map_user, April 28, 2013, 10:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nm_map_user

I originally had the map laid out at levels 24, 20, 18, 16. When it looked jaggy I tried upping the 24 to 26 (which GPSMapEdit seems willing to support, even if it's wrong). Didn't help. After your comment, I set the 0 level back to 24 and changed the others to 22, 20, and 16. The jaggies are pretty much gone.

The only remaining issue is the tool-tips on polygons. The mouse over text is "unknown area", not the string I entered in TypWiz.   I'm using types 0x5100 and 0x5200. With the default types, these appear as wetlands and tundra, and tool tips work. With my custom .typ file, the polygons are painted, but no tool tips.

Here's what the .typ entries look like in text format (minus the bitmap)
[_polygon]
Type=0x5100
;421 DBlk:&4CF
String1=0x00,Private Land
String2=0x04,Private Land
;polygon type: 8
ExtendedLabels=N
Xpm="32 32 2 1"
"0 c #FF6F6F"
"1 c #000000"
[end]

[_polygon]
Type=0x5200
ExtendedLabels=N
String1=0x00,Camping
String2=0x04,Camping
Xpm="32 32 2 1"
"0 c #00FF40"
"1 c #000000"
[end]

popej

nm_map_user

Quote from: popej on April 30, 2013, 02:02:13 AM
Isn't it a label that you have defined in mp sources?

As I understand it, labels are per-object, eg, some polygon is Yosemite National Park, a polygon of type 0x14. If there is no label, then the type name is displayed. This is how it works for the default Garmin types. Based on a suggestion by the author of TypWiz (who is really supportive, so make your donation if you're using the program!), I went ahead and loaded my map onto my GPS (map76csx) and indeed the type names appear when I mouse over them, as expected. Why this doesn't work in MapSource is a mystery, but then all kinds of MapSource behavior is a mystery. Garmin seems to make pretty decent hardware (it sure is popular enough), but their software design and implementation leave something to be desired, to put it charitably.

So, bottom line is that all the problems related to this mapset seem to be solved.

popej

This "unknown area" is a mystery for me too, so I'm trying to imagine any possible reason for it. One is that you somehow put this text into source of your map.

Other possibility is to define polygon of selected type (for example 0x13), set no definition for this area in TYP file and no label in source. Is it possible, that you have this polygon?

General rule is, that if object has label, then it should be displayed. If there is no label, then definition in TYP file can be displayed. If this is missing too, then default type of object should be visible as label. And for area 0x50 this is "woods".