GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit: importing shapefiles with multiple classes of objects

Started by nm_map_user, April 25, 2013, 07:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nm_map_user

Here's a concrete example -
I have a shapefile containing three different classes of roads, which should be displayed on the map using three different symbolizations. The roads are distinguished based on a field value in the shapefile. I haven't been able to find any way to select just one class of roads in GPSMapEdit in order to set the type. Nor can I find a way to import only one class of roads on import. Am I missing something?

(I know that I can use other tools, like ArcGIS or qgis, to split up the shapefile or use a text editor on the .mp file, but I'm asking if there's a way to do it within GPSMapEdit)

nm_map_user

I went back and read over the tutorial on making topo maps, figuring that the answer would be there somewhere, and indeed it was. When you import a shapefile, the first dialog screen that pops up asks for the type of the imported objects. I kept missing that there was a tab within the dialog to pick either "From list" (default) of "From field". The latter is just what I was looking for.

93ToyTruck

For more complex logic I import all shapefile objects then run a utility on the MP file and use the comment values to update the Type= value. It reads the MP file line by line and writes a new MP file line by line only updating the Type value based on whatever logic I need at the time. The comments are listed before the object so it makes it easy.