GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Best recent US map for Garmin Quest?

Started by tjnoff, April 24, 2013, 09:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjnoff

I have a Garmin Quest on my Harley, with the latest maps (2009) available from Garmin. Obviously I'd like a recent US map file, with up-to-date POIs, that I can use in MapSource and use with my Quest.  The Quest is fine for my purposes except for the out-of-date maps, and I can't see spending $700-$800 on a new motorcycle GPS.

I just want a file that is an updated version of the 2009 Garmin map I have now, simply for navigating on the road, that has current POIs and roads.  I don't hike or boat - just plain road riding, and the ability to find a nearby restaurant or hardware store.

I've gone through the list of custom maps on the site.  First, I don't see any all-US maps, but may have missed them.  Second, the regional maps I found date back to 2009.  Third, if there are only regional maps available, I'm not sure how I could upload the data I need to the Quest for a trip that spans multiple regions.

I'm admittedly a noob when it comes to custom maps for GPS.  So, are my expectations too high?  Is there not a 2013 map of the entire US that I can use in MapSource and my Quest?  Or am I missing something?  If not, how should I think of using what's available for long trips, and which maps should I use?

Thanks for your time and expertise!

Indrid Cold

is that the first Quest with the 115MB of memory & the City Select map set? If so, you might have to go with the OSM maps for the US. Quest 2 will do City Navigator NA-NT maps.

Boyd

Also realize that the vast majority of maps on this site don't support routing. In other words, they are not capable of calculating turn by turn directions for a route. Unless the map specifically states it's routable, then it isn't.

tjnoff

Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 24, 2013, 10:46:07 AM
is that the first Quest with the 115MB of memory & the City Select map set? If so, you might have to go with the OSM maps for the US. Quest 2 will do City Navigator NA-NT maps.

Yes, I believe it's the original Quest, Harley-branded.  It is not the Quest 2.

OSM maps?

tjnoff

Quote from: Boyd on April 24, 2013, 12:10:26 PM
Also realize that the vast majority of maps on this site don't support routing. In other words, they are not capable of calculating turn by turn directions for a route. Unless the map specifically states it's routable, then it isn't.

Oh.  Well, that's important to know.  So should I give up on finding routable maps for my Quest, here or anywhere else?  Seems a shame that  I can't get compatible maps for a perfectly good GPS unit.   :-\

Boyd

The OpenStreetMap project that Indrid mentioned is here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

They are routable but have some limitations and are certainly not the same thing as City Navigator with regard to POI's, etc. But they're free.  :)

FWIW, it doesn't cost anything like $700-$800 for a new GPS. Zumo 220 is $400: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-220/prod65210.html

tjnoff

Quote from: Boyd on April 24, 2013, 12:32:46 PM
The OpenStreetMap project that Indrid mentioned is here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

They are routable but have some limitations and are certainly not the same thing as City Navigator with regard to POI's, etc. But they're free.  :)

FWIW, it doesn't cost anything like $700-$800 for a new GPS. Zumo 220 is $400: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-220/prod65210.html

I'll take a look at the OpenStreetMap project.  Thanks.

Looks like the Zumo 220 is a discontinued model.  Even the 'Find a Store' button in your link finds no resellers.  Other sites show it as out of stock and/or discontinued.

I may just need to...

A. Find a decent mount for my Android phone and run Google navigation from it.  I do that in my car.  On the plus side I'll be able to play music from it, too.  However, waterproof mounts/cases for motorcycles are bulky and not a great solution either.

or, B. Bit the bullet and buy a new GPS.    :-\

Boyd

The Montana 600 is a good choice if you also want to hike with it - I really like mine. Cost around $470 and you would have to buy the map separately ($60 for "Lower 49" US or $80 for North America).

omegaman

Yep, I have two Quest units. There's just nothing out there that's newer to update to current POIs or newer roads. The main drawback to the free routable maps is that they take more memory for storage than the Quest has. Garmin does not offer anything new for them either. So it's a case of live with it, or upgrade to a newer system/unit from what I've discovered.   :-\

Boyd

Actually, it looks like Garmin's 24k topo series is compatible with both the original Quest and Quest 2. While these are topo maps, they contain the same roads and POI's as City Navigator. They are not updated on any regular schedule, so I don't know if they would be any newer than your 2009 map (I suspect they might be though).

They are rather expensive though, and each map only covers a few states.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/topo/c452-c456-c503-p1.html

maps4gps

Garmin's website is not now giving the version/date for the 24k mapsets; however, when I checked late last year, if I remember correctly, they were still version 2.0, 2009.