GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

iPad and basecamp

Started by Jumper, April 20, 2013, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumper

trying to help a friend who had an iPad and wants to run basecamp on it. Can it be done? I'm a windows person who knows nothing about macintosh system.

Indrid Cold

In a word, no.

The iPad runs iOS, and is not a Macintosh anymore than it is a Windows computer.
Think of it as an iPhone with a big screen that can not make phone calls.

To muddy the waters further, Garmin has an iOS app called BaseCamp Moble, and it isn't a version of BaseCamp, it allows you to connect to your Garmin Cloud storage and transfer the data from it to a couple Bluetooth devices.

Boyd

I think the new Oregon 600 series (just started shipping) is compatible with Basecamp mobile, isn't it?

But aside from that, no you can't run Basecamp on a tablet and you can't connect a Garmin GPS to an iPad with USB because Apple doesn't support that kind of data transfer.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on April 21, 2013, 07:06:08 AM
I think the new Oregon 600 series (just started shipping) is compatible with Basecamp mobile, isn't it?
Yes, the 600 series works w/BaseCamp Moble but it doesn't do .img files, it's no more BaseCamp than ArcGIS for iOS is ArcGIS. It just lets you transfer data from your Garmin Cloud account (150MB-wow!) to the device. You still need BaseCamp on a computer to use .img maps and your data library. I have a private cloud, too bad BaseCamp Moble can't use that or Dropbox or Googledrive or iCloud or amazon cloud or... that's the chinks in the chain.

Boyd