GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Any Suggestions - Oregon 550 Trouble

Started by R-BOLT, April 06, 2013, 08:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R-BOLT

Hello all - First post here - R-BOLT @ Larned Kansas - I just purchase a Oregon 550 to use with my Polaris RZR side by side and hunting. I was wanting to load Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma topo maps, My Trails, and possible map the Arkansas river trails in my area. At this point I cannot get anything to work. I have had a couple of GPS units before, but just used what was loaded on them when I purchased them, and only for highway travel. Here is where I am at:
Computer - Windows 7, internet explorer 10, 53-6635-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266 Kansas topo-install.exe, Base Camp_412.exe, Free Set up-exe, Map Set Tool kit_v1.77.Zip, Map Source_6163.exe, rebuilt.Map Set Tool Kit_v1.77.2:P,

Oregon 550 micro SD shows this is installed - but nothing works or shows up as installed, unless I put it in the sd slot on my computer - 53-6635-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266-My_Trails-install.rar, Base Camp_412.exe, Map Set Tool kit.exe, Map Source_6163.exe

If anyone can point me the right direction, I sure would appreciate it. Thank You

babj615

I posted a reply with very helpful information, but it was deleted by a moderator. Sorry.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: R-BOLT on April 06, 2013, 08:37:41 AM
Here is where I am at:
Computer - Windows 7, internet explorer 10, 53-6635-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266 Kansas topo-install.exe, Base Camp_412.exe, Free Set up-exe, Map Set Tool kit_v1.77.Zip, Map Source_6163.exe, rebuilt.Map Set Tool Kit_v1.77.2:P,

First off, you are not going to need these:
Free Set up-exe, Map Set Tool kit_v1.77.Zip, Map Source_6163.exe, rebuilt.Map Set Tool Kit_v1.77.2

You should run the installed for BaseCamp to install BaseCamp on you PC.
Open BaseCamp to insure that it is working, there will be a World BaseMap included with it.
Quit BaseCamp to install maps.
Run the installer for the MayTrails: 53-6635-My_Trails-install.exe
Open BaseCamp again and you should be able to swith from the World BaseMap to May Trails. This will insure that everything is working and you are able to proceed.
Quit BaseCamp to install the TOPO maps.
Run the installers for the TOPO Map: 122-1266 Kansas topo-install.exe
Open BaseCamp once again and you should be able to switch map products between the World BaseMap, My Trails and the Kansas TOPO.

Next, set up your Oregon.
Turn on you GPS and go to the Main Menu, Setup, System, Interface, and select Garmin Spanner. Back out to the main Menu and turn off the GPS.
Use the USB cable that came with the GPS and plug it into your computer. Te GPS will power up and you will get a message on it: "USB Cable Detected. Would you like to go into Mass Storage Mode?" Select the "Yes" button (the top one). Your GPS will save all the data from the GPS internal memory to the flash memory to use with BaseCamp.

Next, BaseCamp will mount the Oregon and check to see if it is running the current software. If not, it will prompt you to update the Oregon's firmware. Do this if you have an older version installed (and you might even though you just purchased it recently.) If you have to update the GPS, then you will need to restart the GPS for the update to take place. Make sure you have new batteries installed for this to prevent problems.

Your GPS should now be listed under devices in the left panel. You can proceed with loading maps at that point. See the following tutorial on loading maps:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit//

Indrid Cold

Everything you need is right on this site. The Tutorials Section include general use instructions.

Quote from: R-BOLT on April 06, 2013, 08:37:41 AM
Oregon 550 micro SD shows this is installed - but nothing works or shows up as installed, unless I put it in the sd slot on my computer - 53-6635-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266-My_Trails-install.exe, 122-1266-My_Trails-install.rar, Base Camp_412.exe, Map Set Tool kit.exe, Map Source_6163.exe

All these files get installed on your computer, you do not directly place them on you GPS or microSD datacard. They get installed on your computer, you have to run the installer program.

To install maps on you GPS or microSD datacard, you will use BaseCamp. See the message above this for instructions.

R-BOLT

Thank you all very much for the information. When I get a little time I will take another run at it. I appreciate the help!

R-BOLT

Thank you for your help! Had to load a map a couple of times, but everything is working now. Can't wait to hit some trails in the UTV now. Thank you again.