GPSFileDepot.com

Made custom POI once, can't get GPS to recognize any subsequent update.

Started by ftballpack2, March 04, 2013, 08:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballpack2

Hey guys,

So, I created my first test of my snowmobile trails map the other day (using GPSMapEdit).  The trails map does show the trails real well and I created my first points of interests (POI), marking intersections on the snowmobile trails as parking (since their is no POI called intersection).  The three I created showed up perfectly on the Garmin Nuvi 260 that I have to test with.

I then went out and updated my trails map.  I added several more intersections as points of interest and loaded them in basecamp using MapSetToolKit.  Here is where it gets weird for me.  I updated the map on the GPS and when I check the points of interest, I still only see my original 3.  I have since removed the original map I created, changed it's id number several times and renamed it and no matter what I do, my Nuvi 260 only shows 3 points of interest for this map.  The stranger then yet is I see all of my points of interest when I import the map into Basecamp.  What am I doing wrong?

eaparks

There are several things you need to check. 

Make sure you used the same symbol code in GPSMapEdit for your new POIs as you did for your 1st 3; some of the same symbols in GPS MapEdit have different codes and behave differently.

Did you place the new POIs in the same level in GPSMapEdit as the 1st 3 POIs?  Since it sounds like you are working with a relatively small map that won't be very cluttered with a lot of POIs, topo lines, roads, etc. I would suggest making the POIs appear at all possible zoom levels (put them in all levels in GPSMapEdit), except for the last level, of course.

It sounds like you correctly created a new .img file in GPSMapEdit since you can view them in Basecamp.  Are you also using the newly created .TDB file, .img file and .reg file created in MapSetToolKit and the path pointing to them is correct?

Some Nuvi models won't display POIs on custom vector maps until you are zoomed in to around the 200 ft. zoom level, and even then not all POIs will appear at the same zoom level on the Nuvi GPSes.

Let us know what the problem was if any of this helps, or if it doesn't, will try to offer other suggestions.

ftballpack2

Thank you for your suggestions eaparks.

After reading your post it immediately dawned on me that I had created my initial 3 points before I had added any levels.  So, I fixed that issue and set everything to display on the map visible from levels 0-4 where as level 5 is my blank level.

The only issue is that after doing all of this, I recreated the maps, added them to basecamp and then uploaded them to the GPS but, I am still only seeing those 3 points I initially created.....

I then went looking for any difference between the POI that I created initially that worked and the subsequent ones that I added and that's when I noticed that their is a phone option under the POI that I originally created and their is no phone option with the other POI that I created (under the objects properties).  I also noticed on the working POI "home" I could enter in a street address without choosing the option to index as city where as at the other POI, "parking 173" object, I am not seeing this option.

I obviously messed something up with the label setting.  I am in the United States.  If I had chosen European label settings under map settings previously, could that being causing this?  I attached two screen shots, the one called "Home" is a working POI object properties screen.  The screen shot called "parking 173" is a nearby POI that I created that is not working......

Once again, I appreciate your expertise/help guys!

ftballpack2

Fixed it!

Eapark, you are right!  I did not realize that their are two different data points called "parking".  Here the first 3 I did where of one kind of data point.  I had set the other points to the other data point option of "parking".  I corrected the rest of the data points that I have and now everything is working perfectly!